Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program to 'visualize' wifi strength?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hi folks,
I've Googled this a bit to no avail. Is there a program that helps actively visualize wifi strength? I envision a program with the ability to show, in real time, the affects of me changing the positioning of my router's WIFI antennae or USB WIFI-adapter position. It would seem possible for the program to function rather similar to how radio tracking works; stronger signal strength resulting in greater noise or indication, letting us place the router antennae and USB-dongle in the ideal positions.
Does this make sense? My router's settings webpage does show signal strength in terms of percent strength, but it's not in real time.

Any feedback on this would be stellar. I had my WIFI network working perfectly, streaming 1080p without a hitch to my PS3, but tonight it's being a piece of s#!*. I can't stand watching movies and having latency.

Thanks folks.
~Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=wireless+signal+meter&searchtype=downloads

Also there is an app if you have an Android. I don't have an iphone but I'm sure they have one too.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Roger, Animal: I've got inSSIDer. I appreciate the help.
inSSIDer screen shot
From this image captured from inSSIDer, I don't see why I'm getting relatively low performance. I've seen some posts that would tell me my signal strength is "too high", but strong signal should mean less interference or, the ability to be heard over interference.
Any thoughts?

#4 JustGoThere

JustGoThere

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

For Android Phones...
From google Play, search "wifi analyzer" if the link doesn't work

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Wifi Analyzer...
Great graphical display with a bunch of other info.. its a great app...

#5 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I've utilized some of the programs you've suggested. I'm wondering about another question, which might belong in another category or in a whole other topic:
Why does throughput vary so greatly at similar "signal strengths". Example: 80% signal strength with 54mbps rate....then minutes later Signal strength 72% and 214mbps rate....then 76% strength with 240mbps rate...and occasionally 92% signal strength with 12mbps rate. What gives? I do understand that interference can cause drops in throughput, but shouldn't that be reflected in signal strength? Or, is that to say that 2 competing encrypted signals on the same channel would register as high signal strength and create lower throughput due to interference attenuation?

I'm just curious and want to better understand. I'd like to buy a wireless N dual-band USB adapter so I can stream HD content over 5GHZ to my PS3. Currently, no competing 5GHz signals exist within inSSIDer's detecting ability. Any suggestions on the best one?

Thanks folks!

#6 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Bump: any thoughts on this last concern?  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users