Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake FBI MoneyPak infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Z

Joe Z

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hello Everyone,
My kids school laptop has this infection and I'm not currently able to fix it. It is a Dell i5 running Windows 7, I've tried getting to safe mode but it just goes reboots once the desktop reloads. I had this same infection on my own laptop last week and was able to get it started with safemode plus the command prompt. Because this is a school computer we don't have administrator rights so it won't give me the command prompt. Any ideas on how to get past this? Is there a malwarebytes product or any other I can put on a flashdrive on boot to get me going?
Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have requested some assistance. You will need access to another PC and a Flash or CD Drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Okay, sounds good, I have access to those. Thanks for your help!

#4 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Any luck with the deeper research? I've tried getting into the BIOS to make an alternate boot source but still no luck, I need the admin password to change those settings. I did email the school IT folks but they have not yet replied. I guess if i don't hear from anyone here we'll just turn the laptop in to the school Monday morning. Essentially i can't do anthing to this computer without that admin password unless someone here knows how to bypass it somehow.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

We have had a lot of these ;ately.. with ony a couple helpers with the ability to fix it.. You are the 3rd in line.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hello, JoeZ.

My name is etavares and I'll be helping you with this thread. I'm also moving it to the Virus Removal forum since a) you definitely have a virus and B) we'll need log files that aren't allowed in the original forum.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt

Once in the Command Prompt:[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.[/list]
etavares

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#7 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Hi, do you still need help?

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#8 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users