Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS won't boot from USB

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DutchWings

DutchWings

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hello everyone,

I want to reinstall my Windows 7, since I think it has way to much (useless) stuff on it and I'd like to start fresh. I looked up some guides and came to the conclusion that I had to install Win 7 from an USB drive. I did some more research and saw that I needed an .iso, >5gb flash drive and some software to make it bootable. I plugged my 16gb usb in the machine, selected the iso and began the process using WinUSB Maker v2.0 BETA 2. Once the process was done I restarted my computer and entered the BIOS. I set the boot order as follow: USB-HDD, Hard Disk and then another which I cannot remember at the moment. That didn't work. I turned the pc off and on again. This time I entered another menu which allowed me to chose from which device to boot. I obviously picked USB-HDD, but that didn't work neither. I have no idea what to do in order for the BIOS to boot from the USB. :( Can someone help me?

SPECS:
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
Intel i7 2.67GHZ
and according to msinfo32 I have an Award Software International Inc F5 BIOS.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Greetings,

Ash

Edited by DutchWings, 26 January 2013 - 04:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

Hi Ash,
Does the boot selection menu mention USB Flash drive? If so, I think that is the option you should choose, as most USB HDD are NTFS formatted, whereas most Flash drives are FAT32 Formatted - this does make a difference!

Kevin

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

That didn't work.

What did happen?

Have you booted from the USB drive on another computer to make sure it has actually been made bootable?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hi,
I need to clarify something in my own mind - did you download a .iso file and copy it to the USB drive, or did you expand the .iso onto the drive using something like imgburn?

#5 DutchWings

DutchWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

Hi,

@Platypus
When I selected to boot from the USB-HDD it should come up with a progress bar saying something like: "Windows is preparing the files", but in my case it skipped that, and thus the whole installation, and booted the 'old' Windows 7 installed on my machine. On my laptop it does work, so the USB is bootable.

@Kevin384
The Bios mentions USB-FDD, USB-ZIP and USB-HDD. I have not checked the USB it's format, so I will do that in just a minute and report back. About the iso, I have a win7 iso but I didn't just dropped it on the USB. I used a tool (WinUSB Maker v2.0 BETA 2) to make the USB bootable. With the tool you first have to select the USB and then you have to select an ISO file when that is done the process can begin.

Again, I will check the format of the USB and report back ASAP!

Greetings,

Ash

EDIT: The USB is NTFS formatted

Edited by DutchWings, 27 January 2013 - 05:28 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

If you haven't already considered the possibilities in Omi3D's post here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296580-30-boot-bootable-stick

one of them might be the answer.

The suggestion of adding a boot delay in this context would be if there is a BIOS option to disable Quick POST (there might not be). Quick POST requires an immediate device ID, standard POST issues repeat ID requests if a device is slow to respond.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 DutchWings

DutchWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Ughh, nothing seems to be working... Thanks for the link though.
Isn't it possible to just boot up the machine with the 'old' Windows 7, plug the USB in and run setup.exe? Or will that screw up a lot of things?

#8 DutchWings

DutchWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

A simple yes or no would be enough :) Someone, please?

#9 DutchWings

DutchWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

UPDATE:

I think I might have found it! In my BIOS I had to select +HARDDISK. When I entered that menu I saw USB. I pressed enter and now it did say WINDOWS IS PREPARING FILES! I hope it will install normally. I will report back later.

#10 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Well done to you sir!

It always helps to report back, as even us folks at BC like to see something new that may be of benefit to others.
I hope that this has worked out for you.
Good Luck and best wishes,
Kevin

#11 DutchWings

DutchWings
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

No luck yet... Windows has installed Windows 7 4 times, because it shows up 4 times in the boot manager thingy. All installations are stuck midway so I have no access to a working copy. Is there a way to remove all those installations without access to a working OS, just using the BIOS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users