Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mickeynut674

mickeynut674

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:17 AM

Hello! I am new here. I was searching the dell message boards because I am having majoy problems with my internet connection and someone recommended here. I'm not really sure where to begin. I have a good wireless connection, firewall, ad-ware & virus scan, but I mail email won't send and I can't access websites (not all)I have changed my security settings, turned off firewall, and reinstalled my MSN premium software (verizon DSL) and now I am here. MSN and verizon were NO help!!! I also downloaded the XP SP2 and am curious if this is my problem. So any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
PS. I tried to post from home and it wouldn't go through..errrr!! SO I am at work (shhhh)
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

SP2 is one of microsofts greatest wide spread flunks in my opinion. It did mess my pc up. But not the internet.

Welcome to bc!

Just to ask was it ok before you installed sp2?

#3 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:57 AM

Here is a possible fix for you. Have had good results helping others with the same problems.
Winsock Fix

#4 mickeynut674

mickeynut674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:59 AM

Thank you for your help. I will try the winsock fix tonight.
I did not have this problem before the SP2, BUT I upgraded to DSL from dialup, downloaded the SP2 and have had problems ever since. Should I uninstall the SP2??

#5 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:12 PM

No. Keep the SP2. You might as well get everything working good with it installed. It is a good upgrade.

#6 mickeynut674

mickeynut674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:42 PM

No luck using the winsock fix:-( Any other suggestions.

Although I was able to post this message, but still having trouble with specific websites

Edited by mickeynut674, 15 November 2004 - 07:42 PM.

#7 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:53 PM

Our the sites your having problems with secure sites, do they start with https//?

Edited by Bear, 15 November 2004 - 08:54 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#8 mickeynut674

mickeynut674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:57 PM

No, I seem to be able to get through secure sites most of the time. Sites like ebay and ivillage it freezes half way through my attempt. I also cannot send any email through MSN which is driving me nuts!!
Thanks for your help. These boards are great

#9 G3ccO

G3ccO

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:03 PM

No, I seem to be able to get through secure sites most of the time. Sites like ebay and ivillage it freezes half way through my attempt. I also cannot send any email through MSN which is driving me nuts!!
Thanks for your help. These boards are great

1. Since you have upgraded to DSL you should have gotten some kind of modem right? I have never seen DSL without a modem. Did you install the drivers and all the required software for the modem?

2. Are you sure the modem is configured correctly.

3. What browser are you using to do all this in. I assume the MSN 9 Browser?

When you go into Network Settings do you see any active connections?
"How the mind works is still a mystery. We understand the hardware, but we don't have a clue about the operating system." --James Watson

If you would like a Gmail Account let me know. I have several invites left and have no use for them!

Mostly Classical Winamp Distrowatch Linux Iso Google

#10 G3ccO

G3ccO

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:09 PM

Also you may want to look at this

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/rema...09030~mode=flat

My freind had told me something about this but I wasn't aware it was so serious! I don't know if this is all fixed because it is a late October post but maybe this is your problem?

Edited by G3ccO, 16 November 2004 - 08:10 PM.

"How the mind works is still a mystery. We understand the hardware, but we don't have a clue about the operating system." --James Watson

If you would like a Gmail Account let me know. I have several invites left and have no use for them!

Mostly Classical Winamp Distrowatch Linux Iso Google

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2004 - 12:09 AM

1.SP2 turns on MS firewall by default. Could this be interfering?
2. Are you trying to send mail from the MSN web page, or from an Email client on your computer?
3. Have you tried to "repair" IE?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 mickeynut674

mickeynut674
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:30 AM

My first thought was that there was a problem with the software I received from verizon. When I called verizon they told me the same things to do as stated on the broadband board. They recommended removing spyware and that it may be conflicting with the XP SP2 so I did that. I've turned on and off the modem as recommended and still have problems.
My connection settings say there is a strong wireless connection and occassionally drops out.
The MSN firewall is off and the Norton is on.
I think the modem is configured correctly because I followed the startup disk verizon supplied me with.
I have MSN premium and cannot send any mail through this software. I attempted to send from Outlook express but had no luck either.
How do I "repair" IE???
I'm beginning to think I will be calling verizon again ( they are currently on my sh@@ list for charging me long distance when I don't have it..errr!!!)

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users