Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User & Computer Name Changes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 staggerweed

staggerweed

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I bought a used computer & changed the old name to my name & deleted the old log-in names. The old name still shows under C:\Users file, along with other names, such as All Users, Default, Default User, and Public, but my name does not show up anywhere except under Libraries. Also, all the names in the C:\Users files has a lock on them except for Default and Public. How to I completely remove the former owner's name from my files? And, why do the other files show a lock on them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi, staggerweed

I suggest you think about what Queen-Evie suggests in the next post.

I also suggest if you don't want to start over that you just leave it alone as it is just a cosmetic issue.

I have to warn you that what you want to do is dangerous.

Read message #4 before You do this.

When you change the user name the folders in the user directory retain the old name. That is what you are seeing. The other folders are normal.
This is what my users folder looks like.
Attached File  user folder.jpg   8.9KB   0 downloads

There is a process you can follow if you want to change the old name.

However it can be dangerous, follow the directions carefully and make a full backup first.
Go to Windows 7 - User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

Normally, you could change your account name in User Accounts from the Control Panel (icons view), but that still would not change your accoun's user profile folder name in C:\Users.

This will show you how to change your account name and change the user profile folder name of any user account, including the built-in Administrator account (if enabled), in Windows 7 without losing anything in that user account. This will affect the user account's name for the C:\Users\(user-name) folder, Start Menu, Log on screen, Welcome screen, etc......

You must be logged in as an administrator, and is a different account than the account you are changing the name of to be able to do this tutorial.

I hope this helps
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

When one gets a used computer the best course of action is to do a clean install of the operating.

This will wipe out all things related to the former owner and allow you to start with a blank slate so you can customize it to your liking.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I Also suggest a wipe and reload. This presumes that the store (seller) that sold the used computer supplied the disks and license with the computer. They are supposed to do that.
Wiping and reloading ensures that there is no Malicious software left over.
That wipe & reload is what I do to any used computers I sell. The last one I sold had a Windows install disk, Drivers disk, Burning software, and the MS works disk.

Full Backup, How to use System Image Recovery in the Windows 7 and Windows 8 Recovery Environment

How to create a Windows System Repair Disc

Create a restore point
Open the control panel
Click on System
Then when that opens click on System Protection
Click on the Create button (create a restore point right now)

I also suggest backing up the registry since you will be editing it.

Registry Backup
Publisher: Tweaking.com
Thanks to Broni

Download Tweaking.com - Registry Backup from here: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html
Double click on downloaded tweaking.com_registry_backup_setup.exe file to install the program.

Open installed program.
Click on Backup Now button to create first manual backup:

Posted Image

Now adjust some settings.
Click on Settings tab:

Posted Image

By default the program will keep 5 backups.
I changed it to 10.

Now click on Create Schedule button.
By doing so the program will automatically create new Windows task, which will create fresh registry backup on every logon.
If you power your computer on more then once every day and you want to have just one daily registry backup click on Open Advanced Settings button and put checkmark in Only Do 1 Auto Backup Per Day.
You're all set :)

To restore your registry backup open the program and click on Restore Registry tab.
Select appropriate backup from drop-down menu and click on Restore Now button:

Posted Image

You can also restore registry backup manually.
Open Windows Explorer.
Navigate to:
C:\RegBackup\your_computer_name\backup_date folder (it'll look like this: 1.13.2013_7.24.50-PM)
and double click on dos_restore.cmd file.

NOTE.
1. At the above site you can also download portable version.
Portable version can be ran from a thumb drive and keep backups of multiple systems.
In case your computer becomes unbootable you can boot to USB flash drive and restore your registry from there (providing you keep current registry backup on USB drive).

2. Help videos: http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help,3.html
How To Use The Program
How To Use Restore From The Windows XP Recovery Console
How To Use Restore From The Windows Vista & 7 Repair Options
How To Use Restore By Using A Live CD

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 January 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 staggerweed

staggerweed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for all the advice...greatly appreciated. Do I have 4 CPU's in this computer? There are lots of fans....it's was built as a gaming computer in a Cooler Master frame. I didn't need all the bells & whistles, but it came with a 24" monitor, wireless keyboard & mouse for $300 b/c the guy needed money fast. Figured it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Attached Files

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

No what you have is a single CPU that has four cores in it. In other words a quad core CPU.

From here

The number of cores 4
The number of threads 4
Maximum operating temperature 72.7C
Thermal Design Power 100 Watt

Rest of the specifications can be seen there.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users