Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with XP Reinstall & Dreamweaver 4

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 T Edwin

T Edwin

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hope this is where I need to be. I use an old Dreamweaver 4 version for my site.. has limitations but works for me. This is an old XP Home.

It's past time to re-format and re-install [ if that's the terminology ] everything. This is something I've never done before so I want to make sure I don't lose the hours and years of work put into this. Like anything/everything.. first time can be scary!

I'm somewhat capable of following good detailed directions on "How To".. as long as I don't have to rely on much personal knowledge which is limited. What should I do next? Any/all step-by-step instruction would be most appreciated.

Almost without fail.. the help I've received in the past has been invaluable - thank you all!

Terry

Moderator Edit: Moved to a more appropriate forum since it is a format /reinstall of XP with backup needed.
Changed topic title to more accurately reflect subject.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 January 2013 - 11:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

hi, A format and reinstall will delet all data and prorgrams from the harddrive and be like it was when first turned on when new ,so you will have to make sure you backup all data you collected and created over the years before you format and reload

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

My read of your question is that you are looking to backup your site/s that you run with Dreamweaver prior to XP reinstall. Any online content obviously will not be affected. If the site is only on your PC then it is vital to back it up. You may have the accessible site online but a mirror copy on your PC.

How to go about that depends on how you used Dreamweaver. If you have a mirror of the site on your PC with the same folder structure as online and you have passwords and all that stuff written down somewhere, you only need to copy the mirror folder (and its subfolders) to DVD, external HDD, cloud etc. That is a fairly manual process using Windows Explorer and that's what I do.

Regardless of where the site is located, you can backup sites by going to Sites, Manage Sites, select your site, Export (external HDD, cloud etc). Repeat for all sites you have. I've never done it myself. According to the Help it saves the site as an XML file which can be imported later using Import (to restore from the XML file). This does not save any of the site files like CSS, media etc so you still have to back that up. I could not find a way to do that within Dreamweaver. The files are listed in the Files tab (by site) if you have forgotten where they are. Back them up in the same place as the XML.

There are a number of guides online if you google "backup website with dreamweaver" no quotes, that cover both backup for stuff on your PC, or downloading an entire site if you have no local backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users