Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New MOBO/RAM not reading full amount of RAM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased the GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard and G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH RAM for it. I placed the RAM in slots 1, 2, 3 and 4 per the instructions. It only reads 8GB in both BIOS and WIndows 7 x64. The BIOS reads the RAM in slots 1 and 3 but shows slots 2 and 4 as empty. I ruled out a bad RAM stick by swapping the odds and evens and it still only read 8GB, 4GB each in slots 1 and 3. Is there a BIOS setting I need to change, or is this a dead MOBO?

-etavares

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Seems like it should all be handled automatically. Presumably the 4 channels are provided by two dual channel memory controllers, so I think the best approach would be to use the various two and three DIMM configurations as a process of elimination. If the even channels don't work in any of the permissible configurations, then it seems like a faulty memory controller...

Maybe examine the slots under a magnifier in case there are bent contacts touching, sliver of metal bridging contacts etc

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

That's a good idea Platypus. I really hope the MOBO isn't shot...I hate the RMA process where I'm without a working computer for a few days. I'm transferring files now from my old hard drive, but will post the results of that testing later today. At least this computer is faster. :D

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

The evens work in the 2-DIMM configuration. It read 8GB in slots 2 and 4. I just tried the 3-DIMM configuration with slots 1, 2, 3 and it's only reading 4GB. Any thoughts?

Posted Image

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Something of a head scratcher - suggests something other than a controller fault. I don't suppose there's any chance of trying different memory? From the newegg link people have been getting Ripjaws with that board, but from general reading on forums I've always thought of G.SKILL as being a bit "cranky".

#6 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I posted on the G.SKILL forum a few hours ago and one of the admins is helping me with the settings. No joy so far. I'll post back if we find something. Never had this happen before, so it's a headscratcher for me too. I assumed bad stick or bad MOBO...doesn't seem to be either right now.

Posted Image

#7 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

To close the loop, it turned out to be one bent pin in the socket. One mechanical pencil later and problem solved.

Posted Image

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

Good result! Glad it's sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users