Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer 5730 Laptop fails to boot up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ingrams24

ingrams24

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

Just returned from a weeks holiday, and went to boot my laptop, which shut down perfectly a week ago.
I get a two tone sound from the speaker and then an Acer Screen with a blue progress bar at the bottom just over half full, but never moves.
I am able to select Setup with F2

after a short while the sound starts again, the screen blanks, then I get a screen

Broadcom Base Code PXE-2.1 v1.1.0
Copyright © 2000-2008 Broadcom Corporation
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Existing Broadcom PXE ROM.
Operating system not found

The laptop came pre loaded so I have no operating discs. I did back up to an external hard drive about ten days ago, but not sure if this will help.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Edited by ingrams24, 26 January 2013 - 07:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I would remove from power ,and remove battery , hold power button in for about a 1 minuter ,then hook back up and try again . good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 ingrams24

ingrams24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I would remove from power ,and remove battery , hold power button in for about a 1 minuter ,then hook back up and try again . good luck

No Change, exactly the same as discribed

#4 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi Ingrams,

What you have described is the BIOS connot find a hard drive. Unfortunately this is usually because the hard drive has failed. On a brighter note, you recently backed up and haven't lost too much.

The two tones you heard on startup is probably a double beep. This indicates the BIOS has seen a configuration change.

The Broadcom PXE ROM is the computer trying to boot from the network. Unless you have a server set up for this purpose this will alway fail.

It's best to take the laptop to an Acer authorised repairer as they will have access to the media to reload the software.

#5 ingrams24

ingrams24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hi Ingrams,

What you have described is the BIOS connot find a hard drive. Unfortunately this is usually because the hard drive has failed. On a brighter note, you recently backed up and haven't lost too much.

The two tones you heard on startup is probably a double beep. This indicates the BIOS has seen a configuration change.

The Broadcom PXE ROM is the computer trying to boot from the network. Unless you have a server set up for this purpose this will alway fail.

It's best to take the laptop to an Acer authorised repairer as they will have access to the media to reload the software.

Thanks Uncle Rim. yeh think your right, hard drive is Kaput! Doesn't appear in the list of bootable devices. I'm a bit confused, wonder if you could clarify. Is the OS the same as Windows (whatever, 7,8,XP ect) or is it something separate which controls the HD and I'll need to have windows as well?

Also, as I backed up the laptop using a Western Media portable drive, would it have backed up the OS as well?

Edited by ingrams24, 27 January 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#6 Uncle Rim

Uncle Rim

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

The OS (operating system) has been included in Windows since Windows 95. Prior to that you had to install DOS first.

In most cases a full backup will include everything that is needed. However there are some backup programs that are selective in what they store. Let's hope that your program copied everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users