Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do i erase my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hey guys,I have 3 hard drives connected to my computer 1 contains my operating system which is windows 7 and the 2nd contains all my games and the 3rd contains information which i dont want which is a total of 72gig. I wish to erase the 3rd hard drive. I have downloaded "DBAN" and put it on a cd to boot of. Do i need to take the other 2 hard drives out for safety and boot of my cd via the bios.Regards Alan

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

I wish to erase the 3rd hard drive.

If you simply want the drive to be empty there's no need to do more than format it under Windows 7 - if you do not select the Quick Format option, then the drive will be zero-filled, obliterating its previous contents and making it available as an empty drive.

This assumes the drive is not partitioned into more than one partition.

If you particularly want to use DBAN, then it is indeed safest to disconnect all but the drive you wish to wipe, to save having a disastrous accident. But it would seem to be rather a waste of effort if a full format will suffice.

If you need more direction, give more detailed information about the setup of the drive in question, especially if this is not for the system in your sig.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

I wish to erase the 3rd hard drive.

If you simply want the drive to be empty there's no need to do more than format it under Windows 7 - if you do not select the Quick Format option, then the drive will be zero-filled, obliterating its previous contents and making it available as an empty drive.

This assumes the drive is not partitioned into more than one partition.

If you particularly want to use DBAN, then it is indeed safest to disconnect all but the drive you wish to wipe, to save having a disastrous accident. But it would seem to be rather a waste of effort if a full format will suffice.

If you need more direction, give more detailed information about the setup of the drive in question, especially if this is not for the system in your sig.

Thanks for the reply Platypus, i just would like to totally erase everything on the drive and then use that drive for my video editing. I have no partitions set up.I was thinking of using DBAN as i read that just right clicking on files and deleting them does not get rid of everything correctly.I was going to format the drive after i erased it. Whats your view.

Edited by grassy, 26 January 2013 - 03:11 AM.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,415 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

To simply clear the drive for re-use, DBAN is way overkill. It's tedious to completely empty a drive by doing multiple file deletes, and they'll unnecessarily be put through the recycle bin first unless you specify otherwise, and some will be left there unless you finish by emptying it. So since you don't want to make any change to the drive beyond emptying it, there's little need to do more than a quick format. This rebuilds the file system to the state of a fresh empty drive.

What you may have seen about files not being properly deleted is probably the consequence of a delete leaving the old file contents still on the drive, and able to be recovered later, which can be a security risk in some circumstances. In some cases this is a good thing (accidentally formatting the wrong drive...), but for your purposes doesn't matter at all. What you put onto the newly formatted drive will just write over the top of what was there before.

If you do a full format, it will take longer but in Windows 7 will overwrite the old files with zero values (this didn't happen with XP or earlier). One possible advantage of this is if there are any bad sectors on the drive awaiting re-assignment, it will probably be done at this time. But if the drive has bad sectors, it's not in good condition anyway.

Edited by Platypus, 26 January 2013 - 03:47 AM.

#5 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

:) Thanks Platypus, i will just do a quick format then. Thanks for your help i really appreciate it.I wasnt really sure what to do but now you have put me in the picture. Thanks again.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,415 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users