Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot load Ghostery in a 'user' account

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium, IE 9
I can install and load Ghostery 3.0.0 for IE 9 in an admin account without a problem.
But when I try to install and load Ghostery 3.0.0 for IE 9 in an account that does not have admin privileges, Ghostery installs (after supplying admin password), launches IE, and then appears to be stuck in an infinite loop. The message "Ghostery is loading" appears for several seconds within IE9, the Ghostery icon blinks, then this repeats again over and over. I tried uninstalling Ghostery from my machine, then just installing it in the user account - same results. Note that in the IE 9 Tools menu --> Manage add-ons window, ghostery does not appear.

How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

Hi -
To start with, I had not heard of this up to now, so I decided to follow it through .......

You must first choose the browser that you wish to apply Ghostery to. I use Internet Explorer over 90% of the time, so this is the choice.
The install was very simple, and the download extremely quick, with the reminder to disconnect from the internet while it installs.

I only installed it on my basic account, because I do not run several accounts, since we just USE the computer and we have no secrets ! :)

The install shows up in Control Panel > Programs and Features if I wish to remove it, and it also shows up in Windows Explorer in Programs.
Now I have a Tiny icon on my top browser bar with a number on it, that i assume is the background items it is detecting -

From what I have seen, you may as well just install MVP Hosts file (in this area) as I have and it blocks over 1,500 entries quietly.
This program just shows the items being blocked with a line through the programs snooping but being blocked -

http://getsatisfaction.com/ghostery < < A link to their forums if you wish to ask for specific details related to your problems -
I will only leave this on for a day or 2 to see if there are problems or dramas to post back about later -

Regards -

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

You did not describe this, but I assume that if you install and run it from an admin account, then log out and log in to a non-admin account, and then run IE, you have the same problem?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

==> "If you install and run it from an admin account, then log out and log in to a non-admin account, and then run IE, you have the same problem?"
YES I Do

==> To noknojon - thank you for your answer. However my problem is that I can NOT install Ghostery into "my basic account". That is the crux of my problem.

What I tried today:
I tried uninstalling Ghostery from all browsers, rebooting, logging into the user account (does not have admin privileges), and installing Ghostery. Same problem - the message "Ghostery is loading..." shows in the IE 9 window but it never finishes loading. I watched the install process and noticed that after Ghostery asked for the Admin password, it loaded some files into /user/Admin/AppData/local which is NOT the user account but is my Admin account. Could this be the problem? In other words, how do I get Ghostery to load into my local user account and not try to place files in the Admin account? Or is something else going on here?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

"Ghostery is loading..." shows in the IE 9 window but it never finishes loading

Hi -
The actual download only took me less than 20 or 30 seconds, but from there you should NOT have any browsers open to install it.

after Ghostery asked for the Admin password

At no stage was I ever asked for any Admin or other Password. I just loaded the program, turned off I.E.and started the install.
Only try one version at a time (I.E. / Chrome / Firefox / etc) as you must be using that browser to download from -

You may try turning UAC off, as this may be one reason for it not wanting to install.

Please list all active Antivirus program(s) and Firewall(s) that you have installed if you wish to keep trying to install this -

I am actually starting not to like this add-on, as it seems a bit intrusive, so today I will be uninstalling it, and just using my Hosts file.
It seems to be over-kill and serves little purpose, just telling you about "intruders" while my Hosts file Blocks intruders (never get Tracking Cookies in SUPERAntiSpyware scans)

I would advise you to read the MVP Hosts file details (lower in this area) and install that instead. The choice is yours, and we will always help if you do want it.

Thank You -

#6 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

My final reply:

I tried all suggestions and nothing worked. Even did full scan of my system with Malwarebytes, etc. I give up and have uninstalled Ghostery. Anything this difficult to configure is not worth the trouble.

Thanks to all who gave suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users