Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU (gtx465) suddenly overheating.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nadezda

nadezda

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Hello there.
Almost two years ago a friend built me this pc, but now I'm having problems with my GPU overheating.
It's usually on 50c max when gaming, but lately it's been going 80c+ and startup and idle, 74+.
I started getting BSOD's when gaming. I upgraded to the latest drivers the other day, still the same.
I've no idea what's going on here.
The fan and everything is working fine, as far a I can see there's no problems.
Anyone got suggestions? It shouldn't be dying yet. Makes me so sad when he's got problems,
my poor PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi, One suggestion, You say the Fan is working?

I would Pull the card and look into the opening where the fan is. After 2 years I suspect that the Video card heatsink is clogged and needs to be cleaned. I do not suggest removing it to clean it. I have seen some designs where there is a top metal cover held on with really tiny screws. Others where you have to blow air backwards into it to get the dust out.

If you can attach a picture of both sides of the card it would help with better details of how to clean it. You will need to be in the full editor to attach.

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 nadezda

nadezda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Hi, One suggestion, You say the Fan is working?

I would Pull the card and look into the opening where the fan is. After 2 years I suspect that the Video card heatsink is clogged and needs to be cleaned. I do not suggest removing it to clean it. I have seen some designs where there is a top metal cover held on with really tiny screws. Others where you have to blow air backwards into it to get the dust out.

If you can attach a picture of both sides of the card it would help with better details of how to clean it. You will need to be in the full editor to attach.

Thanks
Roger

Thanks for the suggestion..
Yeah it was working last time I checked. Thing is, I'm not sure if I remove the card I'll be able to put everything back to normal - I've a habit of breaking stuff and the thing is, it's so stuffed with cables I'm not even sure I could put it back in. But.. do you know a useful tutorial for doing this? I can't attach pictures as my phone broke a few weeks so I have no means to.. I own no tools either so am I screwed :-)

Edited by nadezda, 25 January 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I believe that card exhausts out the back of the case right next to where the monitor connects. How does the air feel there, Is ti blowing really good? Is the air really hot? Can you take the side of the case off? And make sure the fan is running properly?

With the Computer OFF.
One way to try and clean is to get a can of air and blow that thru where the vents on the back of the case are.
You can see an example here http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/gf100-5/inno3d-gtx465-front.jpg
You would want the side of the case off so you can see if dust is being blown out and afterwards make sure the fan can spin freely before powering up the computer. Important the the can of air be held upright.
I strongly suggest you do not take the video card apart.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 nadezda

nadezda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

I believe that card exhausts out the back of the case right next to where the monitor connects. How does the air feel there, Is ti blowing really good? Is the air really hot? Can you take the side of the case off? And make sure the fan is running properly?

With the Computer OFF.
One way to try and clean is to get a can of air and blow that thru where the vents on the back of the case are.
You can see an example here http://www.ixbt.com/video3/images/gf100-5/inno3d-gtx465-front.jpg
You would want the side of the case off so you can see if dust is being blown out and afterwards make sure the fan can spin freely before powering up the computer. Important the the can of air be held upright.
I strongly suggest you do not take the video card apart.

Good Luck
Roger

It is extremely hot, it's usually nomal. As my PC is under my desk it practically keeps my feet warm, haha.
I'll try and check if it's alright tomorrow during daylight (my apartment is quite dark, bleepty old place), and acquire a can of air if it's necessary when I can..
Thanks a lot, I hope that's just the problem. It would make sense - I clean all the fans out every two months or so as it gets quite dusty in here.
I'll report back when I've had a look, and thanks again.

#6 nadezda

nadezda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Right, so I'll show you this. I never thought of cleaning out my gpu in all the years I've been cleaning the rest out every few months - since I'm broke till next month I decided to stick a q-tip in there and see what would come out, I present to you my new pet.
Posted Image
He was almost alive and moving around in there.
Pretty retarded of me, but thanks for the fix. It's down to 40c on boot now.
Still gonna buy a can of air as there's more I couldn't get out,
but how would I go about doing this. Which way? Top hole or underneath the fan..I don't want to break anything.
Thanks!

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Great job! :thumbsup:

That has to be helping a lot. What makes that so common is that fan being on the bottom of the card and being easy to miss as a result.

How to use the air? See where the card exhausts the air from the heat sink and then with the computer off blow into that opening. I usually start with that and then blow into where the fan is a second step and repeat a couple of times going back and forth from exhaust to fan opening until no more dust comes out.

Be very careful with the Qtip, Those fans blades are fragile.

Good Work
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#8 nadezda

nadezda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Great job! :thumbsup:

That has to be helping a lot. What makes that so common is that fan being on the bottom of the card and being easy to miss as a result.

How to use the air? See where the card exhausts the air from the heat sink and then with the computer off blow into that opening. I usually start with that and then blow into where the fan is a second step and repeat a couple of times going back and forth from exhaust to fan opening until no more dust comes out.

Be very careful with the Qtip, Those fans blades are fragile.

Good Work
Roger

I'll do that! Thanks a lot, problem solved!

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

It is always good to hear a success story.
Thanks for letting us know.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users