Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am Unable To Download Anything!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 applesauce1234

applesauce1234

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:12 PM

Hi

I recently got severely infected with Spy Falcon... since then, with the help of the HiJackThis team, I managed to get my computer under control. Everything has been perfect now, except for the fact that I can not download anything anymore!

I recently removed Norton 2005 Antivirus, and replaced it with other free software...

i talked with norton about this, and they advised me to use Windows Install Cleanup, which didnt seem to make a difference... now they want me to download internet explorer 6.0 (instead of the 7.0 beta that i use now), but alas, i cannot download anything... i figured someone here would be much helpful...

what happens when i try to download is that everything seems to be normal until the end of the download... it gets to 99%, and then the file just disappears

any help would be great!

colin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

Beta versions of applications are published for public testing and may contain bugs. Consequently, uninstall the Beta and see if that will resolve your problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 applesauce1234

applesauce1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:37 PM

hi

thanks for the reply!

i did as you suggested, but am still having the problem

i had downloaded the beta version several weeks ago, and had no problem with downloading... the problem began when i uninstalled norton, and then ran a windows registry cleaner...

any ideas?

colin

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:17 PM

Yes. Symantec has a tool called Symnrt. Go to their main site (www.symantec.com), and in the search box, type "Remove Norton". Click the first link and scroll to the bottom. A link will be there saying something like:

"remove norton with symnrt.". Click that. It will remove ALL traces of Norton from your computer. Chances are Norton is still there, thus causing your problems. I used to have Norton Internet Security 2006, and it is a power-hog. Do the symnrt and remove all traces of Norton. Then reboot.

Let me know if that fixes things
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users