Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DD-WRT

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 keldron

keldron

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hello .

I just bought a new router and I was wondering what does DD-WRT could do to me to benefit me ?

is it worth installing it ? or shall I stick with my firmware ( I do not have any internet problems at all )

I tried reading on line about DD-WRT but nobody could really tell me what benefits / bad things does it bring to the table .

Any help or guide would be appreciated .

Sincerely ,

Keldron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Hi keldron,

Whether or not you install it is up to you, but there is a lot more information about DD-WRT on their Wiki as opposed to their website: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

Generally you do not want to update firmware unless you really need to, because it carries the potential to "brick" the device (render it useless). To give you an example, I have a Linksys WRT54G, and I am running DD-WRT because I had issues with the stock firmware, and it's a really old router. The router was freezing with larger downloads, and sometimes network devices would randomly lose their wireless connections.

Another reason to upgrade is you can unlock additional features, but the software itself and capabilities all depend on the make, model, and hardware version of your router. The features are more advanced and pretty specific IMO, but you can run VPNs, fine-tune wireless settings, and access stuff otherwise restricted or unavailable in the stock firmware.

If you are not having issues with your Internet connection I do not think you need to upgrade, but if you do decide to upgrade your firmware, please be sure to read any and all instructions available and follow them exactly. There are certain circumstances where if you make a mistake in upgrading the firmware, you will be unable to use or repair your router, so it's better to play with an extra one first!

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Best Regards,
whoabuddy
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

:thumbup2:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 January 2013 - 03:13 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users