Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fridge Magnets = Danger?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, i got bored one day, and put about 10 refridgerator magnets on the case of my tower (it's a metal tower, not plastic). They're just the basic size fridge magnets, maybe 2.5x4 incheas long, in 2 rows of 5. I'm making sure not to cover the vents or anything like that.

My question is, could the slight magnetic charge of the magnet harm any part of the computer? I haven't had any problems so far, and i've had them on for about a week. I'm concerned about the long term-effects on the harddrive or something, or if i put a lot more on there....

Just curious...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:57 PM

Their magnetic field has such short range that I don't believe it would have any effect on anything, but it depends on exactly where you got the magnets.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

They're just a couple of cheap, really flat "Bic" magnets i snagged from the campus cinema. They're always giving them away for free, so i grabbed a hand-ful :thumbsup:

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

re: long term effect.
I'm thinking PC tower case decoration will change long before any damage,
however slight it might be ,could possibly evidence itself in harware malfunction ...
I'd surely tire of the improved look if it were thin bic magnets. :thumbsup:

In the long run, if I wanted to tack notes up next to my desktop under 'em,
I guess they might be useful afterall.
I'm trying to cut down on paperwork, though.
Using digital Notepad.

tough question, h monkey. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:51 PM

There won't be any effect on the harddrive, many harddrives contain magnets thousands of times stronger than any fridge magnet. They are part of the actuator mechanism that moves the heads around. If they don't effect the stored data there is no way your fridge magnet is going to. Now floppy disks - that's a different question! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

Lol, luckily i don't have/use a floppy drive on this box.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

Other than folppy disks themselves, the only other device that could be effected would be the monitor, enough mangnitism will effect its degausing ablility, but you would have to put the magnets up against the monitor, and then there may not be enough of a magnetic field to effect it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users