Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unlock password on a HDD ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hi ... Is it possible to unlock a hard drive password ? First off I never knew you could set a hard drive password . I'm curious to know if you set a password on a laptop 2.5 hard drive and forget the code can it be possible to unlock it ? From what I have gather so far if you place a password on the HDD it will stored the password on the Mboard bios and on the drive . And before you can unlock it within the Mboard ( Bios ) and the drive you need the correct code . If you try to some how format the drive you still need to know the hard drive code so it can unlock it from the bios as well . I'm not sure whether if you just remove the cmos off that it will unlock the code as well . Remember I'm not talking about setting a bios password but rather a hard drive .

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

If you do not know of forget the Hard Drive password, which is Stored on the drive, then the easiest and cheapest method is to replace the drive and reload your Operating System.

The drive password is a security feature and not easily defeated. Clearing the CMOS (Bios) will not defeat it.

Someone may know better, however that was what my research showed last year when I looked into it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 snooker

snooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hi ... First off it's not a problem for me . I just saw another thread from a different forum site were the guy does have this problem . I'm just more curious knowing about these feature . Sound like a good security feature to have on a laptop .

Now from my understanding removing the hard drive and replacing it with a new drive will not do . I believe you still need to unlock the firmware which gets tied to the laptop , Yes ?

#4 Manish Nasa

Manish Nasa

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

The HDD password has always been a feature on hard drives for as far as i can remember.

rotHowever its rarely enabled by users,considering the inconvenience of putting a password everytime you boot the computer.

rotor123 is correct when he says " The drive password is a security feature and not easily defeated. Clearing the CMOS (Bios) will not defeat it. "

The only way around is to call the system manufacturer ; give them the MAKE and the serial number of the HDD and they would help you reset it.

This has worked for me as a DELL customer.

Otherwise the drive is as good as junk.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Hi ... First off it's not a problem for me . I just saw another thread from a different forum site were the guy does have this problem . I'm just more curious knowing about these feature . Sound like a good security feature to have on a laptop .

Now from my understanding removing the hard drive and replacing it with a new drive will not do . I believe you still need to unlock the firmware which gets tied to the laptop , Yes ?

Hi

I have replaced a Passworded drive with a new drive, more than once. The new drive will work in that computer that the passworded drive.
Where I worked we would do that with proof of ownership of the laptop. No proof, no work. That was when I was working for a place that was a Authorized Service provider (ASP) for a couple of brands of computer.

The drive will still be locked, as that feature is part of the drive.

Manish Nasa, It may be an inconvenience but really no worse than having a login password for windows. I know businesses that require their laptops to have the feature enabled.
The trick is to use a good password, not something like "1234" or "Password"

Cheers
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 snooker

snooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

The feature of having a password on a laptop might of been there a long time but many people don't even know about this feature , I myself am one . My thoughts when it came with laptops there really isn't any solid secure feature one could have were thieves couldn't replace or re-use the laptop but if this feature is secure proof I am very interested in know all about it . I have 3 laptops and if by chance this is a solid proof of pi$$ing off the thieves were they can't do anything with it I am in

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hi, If your laptop has the "Trusted Platform Module" Feature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

often called the "TPM chip" or "TPM Security Device". The TPM specification is the work of the Trusted Computing Group.

and Hard drive password and You use Both Your data will be fairly secure.

Crooks will be Ticked off because it will cost money to get around each of these devices.

One way around the TPM lock is to replace the motherboard or spend money to beat it, I'm not sure that can be done either. Add that to needing to replace the hard drive and reload, I don't see them being happy.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 January 2013 - 01:05 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#8 snooker

snooker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I like this feature . And I'm guessing if one were by chance to forget their embedded motherboard password to unlock the hard drive one would have to go to the manufacturer and prove ownership were afterwards they would provide a unlocking code to enter ?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

I would not like to bet my data that they could unlock the drive if you forgot Your password.

And of course, backup, backup, backup.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users