Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 midou1994

midou1994

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Hi,

I just want to know some information about AMD`s APU

I understand that this is putting the CPU and graphics card in one block but how is the different from Intels HD Graphics..

Also integrated graphics means uses Ram for Memory and has it own Processor on the motherboard right?

but in case of a few AMD machines its written 512Mb and the processor name so,, what does this mean?

what happens when we put a dedicated graphics card in.....
what happens to the integrated graphics card like AMD one with 512 MB??

Also Many Websites and People continue to say that AMD heats up and consumes more power when Compared to intel is this true?

I have gone through a few pages regarding APU like this one
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/what-is-an-apu-2011018/

So will be grateful if other experts throw some light.....

Each page I visit is either biased to Intel or AMD

Some claim that Intel 3rd Gen core i7 will surely loose against AMD Axx series when it comes to Graphics and Performance so, hoping for unbiased answers

am not really planning to buy a lappy or build a new PC but just wish to know which is better.....

Also I wish to know If it better to use the laptop on Ac or battery
i.e.
Will running the Laptop on Direct power reduce battery life??
and cause it to heat more?

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2013 - 02:35 PM.
Moved from Buying New Computer - Hamluis.

Midou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I can answer some of your questions and some i can't. The graphics chip itself use to be built into the motherboard's northbridge but now they in the CPU itself like the APU. When a dedicated graphics card is placed in, the integrated graphics is basically disabled. Currently the AMD FX series does consume more power and runs hotter then a Intel CPU at this point of time. A Intel Core i7 will destroy a AMD APU in CPU tasks but in graphics performance that's where the APU will thrash the Intel HD graphics. It's best to run the laptop without the battery if the laptop doesn't go anywhere and the advantage of that is you save the battery life of it and it reduces heat. Also what do you mean by "but in case of a few AMD machines its written 512Mb and the processor name so,, what does this mean?"?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Hi thanks for replying

what I meant was Intel HD graphics shares memoru from Ram nut does the AMD APU Have its own Separate Memory I saw page for a Hp Laptop Which Showed a Dedicated and integrated graphics card

But the integrated one had separate memory..
I`m not sure If i made correct sense of the details they put in the page

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-g6-2313ax-laptop-apu-quad-core-a10-6gb-1tb-dos-2-5gb-graph/p/itmdh954sn9dchzf?pid=COMDH93QMXNH7U2W&ref=8911ff39-cffc-48fd-8af3-b643228f11ae
Midou

#4 midou1994

midou1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

hi In Graphics segment the integrated graphics has around 512MB how is this different from Intel Hd?
Midou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users