Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's wrong with my PC? Should I just buy a new one?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 slow.poke

slow.poke

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Well I hope someone would be patient enough to help me out here. Sorry if this is just too long… and please excuse my English if some of my words are kinda off, it’s not my first language. Anyway, I’d like to ask for advice from all you helpful tech savvy friends here. My PC, which I use for my online work shuts off/restarts randomly and I’d like to find out whether it’s still salvageable, or if not, how best to dispose it (whether I could re-use a hardware from my old tower to a new one or not). As much as possible wouldn’t want to change my unit as my place is small and I wouldn’t want to add more clutter. I guess you can say I’m the average PC user and don’t know much about these stuff.

Early this month, I brought my unit to the computer shop for a reformat after the shutdowns got severe. These shutdowns started Aug of last year but I didn’t have the funds back then to have it repaired so it was delayed. If I remember correctly, the shutdowns usually happen while I’m browsing the web. Aside from getting the BSoD, other things which happened to my PC were:
-My monitor would show black and white/gray vertical stripes (image link)
-I’ve tried doing checkdisk (which an IT friend instructed me to try) several times. First times, I was able to use my PC without much problem, but afterwards I’m not sure whether it helps
- I use to lose internet access when I would leave my PC on standby (when I was still on WinXP). So I got used to leaving it running even for long period of hours because it’d be a hassle for me to reboot and have to reopen all the programs I was on just to get back to them.
- a CD/VCD exploded once while my brother had it playing on the drive. I don’t know whether it was because it was a bootleg or my PC just overheated.

The day before I had brought my PC for repair, I had to rush a project (delay caused by erring PC) so I did my work using safe mode. When I would open my documents in safe mode, unit is noisy/ makes a whirring sound (except when my USB flash drive was plugged in). I’m wondering whether I ruined some hardware inside because of that. Also, my PC was running slow, and I couldn’t permanently delete a file using the Eraser software; file resurfaces / gets replicated and have the “.exe” extensions.

The repair guy said that my PC was infected with a virus but didn’t make any mention of a need to change any hardware in my unit. I failed to ask what virus it was but when I ran Microsoft Security Essentials (using a public PC) to my files that were still up on the dropbox website, it detected 2 items namely “Worm:Win32/VB.WJ” and “Worm:Win32/Brontok.FFT”. I’m not sure though whether those are the culprit. Actually, I believe it’s already been infected long before that but I didn’t know much about taking care of PC. So it was just now (when I needed the PC for my online work) that I started getting serious about taking care of my unit. It was a very frustrating experience and I definitely learned from it. I guess it was because I hated the PC when it was bought (no other PC to choose from in the shop where it was bought from, 3rd world country) and wasn’t thought about that time that’s why I didn’t really care that much about this unit. I’m the kind of person who’d research about something first before deciding whether I’d buy it or not, so that I can be sure it’s a good buy and I’ll really like it.

Anyway, I think it was 2 days after I brought home my newly reformatted PC (with a new Win7 OS) that again, I got a BSoD. Then these other things happened afterwards:
- PC won’t display Welcome screen after boot; display freezes as system tries to boot (texts does not load fully, stuck at system manufacturer’s name i.e. FOXCONN, or blank screen with a blinking hyphen)
- white and black stripes on my display
- Google chrome crashes a few times
- “BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot.”
- got rainbow-colored vertical lines a few minutes after I went away from my PC just to do something

Below is a dropbox link to a folder where I saved some photos taken of my screen (wherein display would not load fully or get stuck at those)
(PC shutdowns)

So I returned it to the computer shop but they weren’t able to diagnose anything. They told me to just monitor it coz according to the repair guy, they left the PC running overnight but found nothing/didn’t experience anything wrong with it. I was stumped but happy that I could have my unit again and won’t have to work on a public PC anymore. So when I had it back home, I finally changed the AV installed as I wasn’t confident with the AV put in there by the computer shop. I installed Avast free, MBAM, and Super antispyware then ran a scan using each, all with clean results.

Everything was running smoothly, until the 7th day I’ve had it back at home. I had it on hibernate for 6 hours and had it running for 4 hours prior to that. The chrome window I was on crashed a few minutes after I had it back on from hibernate, and I got a BSoD. Then system shutdown/tried to restart but display got stuck or didn’t continue to welcome screen. It turned on once and I was able to use it. But when I tried to turn it on and off the next couple of days, it won’t even reach the welcome screen. Then it worked again and I was able to use it for 2 days (doesn’t mean 48 hours), just being mindful to not let it run for 10 or 12 to 24hrs. Then another PC shutdown, after I had PC running for almost 9 hours (w/o hibernate or sleep); and this morning another shutdown/restart, got stuck at this image white dots on display
I noticed there were these white dots on the screen, first time it happened. Is my monitor also ruined?

I don’t know whether I should buy a new unit or just have a hardware replaced (but have no idea which one to replace since I don’t know what’s wrong). I don’t have much funds and it would be cheaper to just have some things replaced. I have no idea how outdated my machine is. I believe I bought it in Dec 2007 so it’s already more than 5 years old. However, I don’t remember anymore whether my motherboard and some other hardware in it were changed or if they’re the ones I’ve bought since 5 years ago, when we bought the unit.

These are my specs: (please let me know if there are some things I’ve missed to put here)
System Summary
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Foxconn
System Model 662M03
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 5/21/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.97 GB
Available Physical Memory 917 MB
Total Virtual Memory 3.94 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.67 GB
Page File Space 1.97 GB

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help me out here. :)

Edited by slow.poke, 25 January 2013 - 02:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slow.poke

slow.poke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

can an admin please delete this post of mine since it was too loooong and apparently no one was patient enough to read it? was looking for a delete button but there's none. thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users