Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Server Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ex0syphen

ex0syphen

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

I recently set up a DNS server for me and my friends. It allows me to make custom domain names for them, like john.awesome or me.ex0. I can access it on my network by entering the server's IP into the DNS settings on my devices, which is 10.0.0.30:53. However, my friends cannot access my server because they are not on my network. I tried setting up a no-ip dynamic DNS host but on most devices you can only enter an IP address for the DNS server, not a host name or domain name. What should I do so they can connect?

F.Y.I. A static IP is not an option. (Its like and extra $75/mo from Comcast)

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

First the 10.0.0.0 IP address range is not routable over the internet as it is a private IP address range. Not sure what you are trying to do here since whatever DNS names you configure will not resolvable by other people on the internet since they do not conform to the high level domains. The only way they will be able to see your DNS server is to point their computer to your Public IP and then you would have to port forward the DNS requests to your server. However since your IP is dynamic it may change from time to time and they would lose connection. The only way to resolve this is to get a static ip which you said isn't an option.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users