Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet not working after reinstalling Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 iml2an

iml2an

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I just recently reinstalled windows xp professional because it was getting really messed up. I installed it properly and now the USB ports nor the Internet is working. Which means i have no mouse and no USB and no internet. I dont know how to get the internet to work. I'm running Compaq Presario SR1630NX. When i open Device Managers the following things have a Yellow Sign next to them: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, PCI Modem, Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller, STandard OpenHCD USB Host Controller.

I installed the Ethernet driver already from here: http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-RTL8139-Family-PCI-Fast-Ethernet-NIC/3000-2112_4-91313.html . But it didnt seem to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I just want to add that when i try to isntall the Chipset Driver it says that it is already on the computer and after i overwrite that it says: "The original drivers are stored in the C:/HP/Drivers/Chipsetfolder. Please install the driver through the Device Manager."

Also, i am running XP Pro. SP3 x86.

Edited by iml2an, 24 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

How did you install the operating system, from a retail disc, Compaq disc, restore partition?

If you used a disc, did you install the drivers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 iml2an

iml2an
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

It was a disc that my friend gave me. But it wasn't a compaq disc. And i isntalled the drivers from the HP website but some of them dont work, like the internet or the USB ports.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

What service pack to you have installed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 iml2an

iml2an
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

It is SP3

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Was the disc that you used the same version as yours, XP Home, XP Pro.?

The Universal Serial Bus Controllers should be native to the operating system. Have you tried uninstalling these in the Device Manager then restart the computer to install new drivers?

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Always download and install drivers from your manufacturer website

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1122478

#8 iml2an

iml2an
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Originally i had Ubuntu. And yes i did uninstall and restart but it doesn't seem to work.

And narenxp, i did install my drivers from there. I did most of them, some of them do not work for some strange reason. The ones that do not work state: ""The original drivers are stored in the C:/HP/Drivers/Chipsetfolder. Please install the driver through the Device Manager.". Also, on that website i'm not sure which one is the USB port driver or which one is the Internet driver..

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

This is your LAN driver

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software5/COL11957/pv-35411-1/sp26560.exe

#10 iml2an

iml2an
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I will try that shortly. Any word on how to fix the USB?

P.S: Sorry for the late responses and all. Im usually at work or class..

#11 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Lets look at USB at last.

#12 iml2an

iml2an
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

This is what comes up:

"The original drivers are stored in the C:\HP\Drivers\LAN folder. Please install the driver through the Device Manager."
And it also opens the Device Manager window...

Still no internet..

EDIT: I did what it says and it said that the LAN was isntalled and restarted my computer. No internet. My guess is that i now have to download the PCI Modem driver? Also,

Also, now after the installation under network adapters it says:
- 1394 Net Adapter (Has no yellow mark next to it, this was not here prior to isntallation)
- Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (STILL has yellow exclamation point)

Edited by iml2an, 29 January 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Unless you deleted it your computer model has a recovery partition. If you do have it on your computer it would be much better to use it because drivers are automatically installed when you install the OS.

#14 iml2an

iml2an
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Unfortunately not. Everything was deleted :/.

Please do check my edit on my last post, i think it may be important. Thanks!

#15 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Right click on

- Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC (STILL has yellow exclamation point)

Click on UPDATE>>browse my computer for software.Give location as C:\HP\Drivers\LAN

Does that work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users