Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Malware virus originating from Certified Search toolbar

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 j1j2a3j4

j1j2a3j4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Like many others , I have had a problem with the certified search toolbar and hijacking of my home page. I took two days to 'fix' the certified toolbar issue with various methods found on a few forums, including the use of malwarebytes.
Two nights ago I was able to use the internet for about an hour or so, then all of a sudden it dropped out. I thought maybe it was a problem with my modem as the ADSL light was flashing instead of being constant, and I was not able to use other devices with it either.
Yesterday, I have been able to get the modem working for other devices, but on my desk top (using Windows 7) I was constantly receiving the error message "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". The desk top is connected by ethernet cable.
Enquiries with my network provider and some talking through with their technical support reveal that my network interface card (NIC) driver is no longer present on my computer.
I am not sure what to do next. Will a system restore fix this? I backed up and created a restore point yesterday (before the issue was seemingly resolved).
I have Norton Internet Security (2012) but it did not pick up anything, and still thinks my system is fine.
Reading a forum on www.bleepingcomputer.com, I found someone with a similar issue. I followed the steps of going to Device Manager, Show Hidden Devices, and found that an alert (little black arrow pointing downwards) was displayed next to several items in the non-plug and play drivers section under the Network Adaptors. One read "NSI proxy service driver" - as I knew I was having problems with the proxy service, I uninstalled this and hoped for the best.

The computer asked for a reboot, and I was actually going to reinstall it after my computer restarted. However, upon start up, my internet connection was working again and the NSI proxy service driver is gone...

I'm no computer genuis, and probably shouldn't have fiddled with these things that I know nothing about, however, it has fixed the issue at least for now!

Don't know if I can expect any further issues, or if there are any further underlying viruses/malware/who-knows-what.

I am still reluctant to trust my internet security, and don't know if what I've done in Device Manager will cause problems further on. There were also some other items which had the alert (little black arrow) beside them on Device Manager.
I haven't read of anyone else having this issue post certified toolbar. Also, how can I tell if I've completely erradicated the problem? A malwarebytes scan this morning said all was clear, but who knows?
Thanks for any advice.

Also, I ran your DDS tool, but only one notepad report came up. Ran it again just to make sure and that's what it did again, so I only have the 'attach' file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hello j1j2a3j4, and welcome to the Malware Removal Forum! :thumbsup:

My name is bloopie and I'll be helping you with your problems as best I can! :thumbup2:

A few things to keep in mind while we are working together:

• If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, I would appreciate it if you let me know.
  • If you are unsure about any of the steps just post what you can and I will guide you!
  • Please tell me if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Please copy and paste all logs here unless otherwise instructed!
  • Upon completing the steps below I will review your topic an do my best to resolve your issues.

==========

Do you still need help with this issue? As Grinler already posted, there is a new removal guide here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-search.certified-toolbar.com-hijacker

==========

When DDS runs, it will automatically open two text files. The first file "DDS.txt" may be minimized, and you may only see the "attach.txt" file displayed...please check your taskbar for the DDS.txt log.

Please try and run DDS again, posting both logs for review. If you have any trouble, please let me know!

bloopie

#3 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hello again,

Are you still with me? :)

This is a 3-Day Bump! If you still wish to receive help please follow the instructions in my last post.

If you do not respond in another 48 hours, I will be forced to close this topic!

bloopie

#4 j1j2a3j4

j1j2a3j4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

Sorry, we had a broken modem on top of everything else, so had no internet for last couple of days. Seems to be resolved, I haven't had any further issues. Please close topic, and I'll start a new one if problems come up again. Thanks anyway.

#5 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

I appreciate you letting me know! :thumbup2: