Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Can The Problem Be

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Head

Captain Head

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

I have a Sony Vaio 12 gig, Windows ME, I did the memory upgrade to 252 MB Ram, but it has an AMD processor. It gets HOT!! I had the cooling fan replaced twice and now it is running but it locks up when doing long tasks. Like I tried to do a defrag and when it got to 10% it locked. Reboot, scan disk, try again, same thing.

Went to safe mode and it finished the defrag. I was so happy, I tried it again in reg mode. It locked up again but this time at 90%

I am not happy with this computer at all. I don't use it much but I bought to run a navigation software program and it is a program designed to run on 95 so it doesn't require much. I have removed a lot of programs but it still heats up.

What do you suggest? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

I'm assuming that this is a desktop. Can you add any cooling fans? Perhaps a PCI exhaust fan would work.

Tiger example.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

The defragging problem has nothing to do with heat, but is caused by modules in the operating system and installed applications accessing files while the MS defrag programme is running; when a file is accessed, the programme is unsure if the file has been changed, so it begins the defrag all over again. Defragging in safe mode drastically reduces the access to files and avoids the access problem.
What application are you using to check the processor's heat? and what temperature is it showing?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users