Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optiplex GX280 keyboard & mouse not working becuase i cant install drivers

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 superqaz

superqaz

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

hi

bought an old Dell Optiplex GX280, booted up, usb mouse and keyboard are seen and im asked to click continue [or similar] to install drivers for them. but of coarse i cant as they dont work in the first place. same problem with a serial mouse,,,any ideas anyone

what is topic description/title for
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Hi, I'm guessing that this is not a new install of Windows XP?

Do some test. Turn on the Power and when the Dell logo appears Press the F2 key for the Bios Setup and see if that works, Same with F12. F12 is the boot device menu. If so then that is good. If not then report back. That will determine if the Keyboard is working at all.

Is your GX280 one of the ones that has a PS2 port for the Keyboard and Mouse? If So borrow them if You can and use them to click to install the USB ones. This is an example. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Dell-OptiPlex-GX280-IO-Serial-PS2-Panel-board-with-cable-T4444-0T4444-/350632562578
I do not vouch for this vendor, I only use them as an example.

The reason I asked about the PS2 ports is there are several versions of the GX280 as I remember the model. Some have PS2 ports in the card slots area. Those hook up to the motherboard with a cable.

Quite often if you let it sit at the login screen and then tap, Not Hold, the power button so it shuts off, The keyboard and mouse will work on the reboot.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 January 2013 - 01:55 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

hi Roger

thanks 4 getting quickly

theres nolog in screen or i would try that trick of tapping.

no ps2 ports

pressing f2 and f12 work and bring up info as they should

mark

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Hi

Well, One option is to use a XP Disk to do a repair install, That should load the drivers as a part of the repair.

If you need help with that Let me know. In this case It would need to be a XP home OEM or XP Pro OEM disk, whichever matches the XP license on the computer. I think that is on top on this model.

A repair install just replaces all the windows files and leave the rest alone.

Or if you had a Dell Mouse or Keyboard I suspect they would work too.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

hi

am useing dell keyboard and mouse.

windoes is all set to look for the drivers and presumably install them, it even highlights the button to press, but of coarse i cant press it. even the seriel mouse asks me the ok the its use.

i have no idea how to get the disc for it as i was given the pc. if the above dosent suggest a solution as to how to to press the damn button, can i install another xp pro on the machine, as my brother brought a copy.

m

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hi, I guess you tried Safe Mode? I wouldn't expect it to help, however you could get lucky.

The question is do you want to fix the windows that is on it and keep all the software and settings or do you want to do a fresh install and start it over?
If you decide to do a fresh install you will either need to copy the drivers from the hard drive, they should be in the C:\Dell\Drivers folder or C:\Drivers or download them from the Dell website on a different machine as there will be no Internet with a fresh install.

At a minimum you will need the Intel Chipset drivers, Video driver, which one depends on are you using built-in or a video card., Sound and Ethernet drivers.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

hi

i did not try safe mode, but will do, however i did not see it after pressing f12. how do i get to it?.

so if i want to get at the drivers i need to install the hd in another pc to access it, right? or use linux maybe.

can u confirm that an unassociated xp disc should work on this machine.

also, in the past my macnines have always found most of the reequired drivers in xp when its installed, are you saying that this will not happen with the dell? [u suggest i copy the drivers]

thanks mark

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hi, Safe Mode is accesse3d by Pressing F8 when the Dell Logo shows.

That is pretty much what I'm saying. I'd be surprised if you had any better video than 640 by 480 by 16 colors, No sound and no Internet without the Dell drivers.
I base that on past experience with Dells of that and similar models.

You can always download the latest drivers from Dell by going to www.dell.com
Look for this line near the bottom of the page under support "Drivers & Downloads"
Then on that page select "Support for Small Businesses"
Then Enter the Service Tag It will be one the back and the top or side of the computer. That will bring you to the latest drivers for your specific hardware as of when it was sold.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

well, i tyried safe mode, no joy.

I asked so many questions in last post that im not sure whch one u were refering to when u said "thats pretty much what im saying" but im assuming it means that i can probably use an xp disc thats not associated with any pc maker. so that bing the case i will go ahead.

i looked at all 70 odd drivers on dell site yesterday but will get chipset drivers etc, at least

do u think it will let me use the keyboard before i install the new driver for it, pretty much assensial i would think?. otherwise im still f**ked

thamks mark

#10 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

yes an xp install disc will give you access to the mouse and keyboard... saying this you have to be careful what xp disc you use. There should be a xp license sticker on the box... it should say xp home... xp professional ... or maybe even xp media center edition. And since this is a Dell you would be best off using a xp install disc directly from dell... a retail disc that say if you borrowed one from a friend (one of the discs that have the holograms on it) would give you activation problems.

Your drivers are not the problem with this dell... it rests more in that OS install has become corrupt... and now you have no way of pressing that 'OK' button unless you use keyboard / mouse that originally worked with this dell.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 25 January 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#11 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

thanks , thats interesting especially the last paragragh.

i hate the way thes companys match there machines to there own os instalations...really really anoying. will try and let u know how it went

cheers mark

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

IF you use a different version XP Disc than the key on the computer is for then you will need to use the key that comes with the disk.

The Dell has a OEM license for probably XP Home or XP Pro.

The Different versions of XP keys are not interchangeable.
So a OEM Home Key is different than a XP Pro OEM key and OEM keys are different than retail Upgrade or retail Full or corporate keys and they need the proper disc to work.

Generally speaking XP will install drivers for the Keyboard and Mouse and CD/DVD drive, and Flash drives . It will install generic non optimized drivers for the chipset, audio and video and Ethernet. In general You may have low resolution or slow drivers for video, sound may or may not work and if it works it may not have all the features, Ethernet may or may not work. usual in Dells is that it doesn't work.

If You are installing a new copy of XP You should be good to go except for some drivers. I've never seen the keyboard or mouse not work unless the port or device is bad and yours work in the Bios so that should not be a problem. The only reason it is asking for drivers is that the ones you plugged in are different than the ones used before or they are in a different USB port.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

one easy thing to try before you play with any install disc is to grab a second (preferrably different model) keyboard or mouse plug in wait like 2 minutes or so and see if the computer recognizes it.

#14 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

hi
will bear that in mind. but i have just now finnished installing a new xp pro sp3, all is ok , will get dell drivers tomorrow.

found that this pc in not a p4 as thought but a celeron so id like to ask [next week] some advice to help me choose which of the 2 machine i have is the higher/most suitable spec for the work i do. i will find out motherboard model and proceser of both.

the instalation was corrupted, i had a msg to that effect at one point

mark

Edited by superqaz, 25 January 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#15 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

thanks to both of you for the help
mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users