Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Freezing - Help Would be Welcome

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 arturdux

arturdux

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hello,

Can anyone help me with a problem I am having with my desktop PC?

My desktop PC runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Service Pack 1 (pre-installed when purchased); and I have the following security and clean-up programs: Norton 360 Online; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version); SuperAntiSpyware; Spybot; ccCleaner; Duplicate Cleaner; and CleanUp!

I ran Norton 360 last week, ticking the options to automatically update virus definitions, run a complete virus scan, free up disk space, tidy the registry, etc – no problems were found. In fact, the only recent problem I can recall was that, towards the end of last week, some Lotus IBM Symphony documents refused to open: so I de-installed that software and re-installed using the latest version, and all was well. Then, last weekend, I was doing some tidying up - closing accounts on some websites, looking to remove any software no longer used, etc. Among other things, I closed my Google account. While looking through the folder Programme (X86) I saw a folder called Google, and assuming it was no longer necessary I tried to delete it, but a message popped up saying that administrator rights were needed to do this. I thought I had administrator rights, but I looked at and played around with the folder's permissions to try to get it to allow me to delete it – without success. Later that day I powered up the PC and something seemed to have gone wrong – when I clicked on folders, applications, etc., they were not all opening immediately, and some not at all. I decided to do a system restore to try to roll back anything I had done wrong – this completed successfully to the recommended restore point, but did not solve the problem - so I switched off for the day. The next day, when I booted up, I got a Norton error message on screen: an error with the code 3047,58 had occurred, and I was told to start a support session; there, no automatic solutions were found, and I was directed to the support website, where I was told to run Live Update and then restart the PC; Norton then reported that some security settings were wrong, so I let Norton correct those. The problem with trying to open folders and applications was still not solved. Norton also recommended using its Power Eraser if problems persisted – so I downloaded that and ran it. Four problems with the system settings were found – but, other than that they were in the registry, no further details were given. I let Norton correct those problems. But, things were still not right: the first time I rebooted I could not get past the Login screen, which just froze; I rebooted and this time got past the Login screen to the desktop, and for a short time a small blue circle appeared on the task bar: when it disappeared, applications and folders seemed to work for about a minute and then everything froze: they all showed “not responding”, and a small blue circle appeared around the pointer. The only thing I could do was manually power off and on again, but still the desktop applications and folders seemed to work for a minute and then freeze. I managed to open the Control Panel, but here the screen was blank apart from the title bar.

And this is how my PC is at the moment: when I power up, I can get past the Login screen to the desktop, but the desktop applications and folders seem to work for a minute and then freeze, and a small blue circle appeared around the pointer: if I persist in clicking on applications and folders, the screen goes blank except for the pointer, and all I can do is manually power off and on again. The PC works in safe mode, in which I have run Norton Virus Scan and Malwarebytes, and also a system files check (sfc /scannow) and a disk check - no problems were reported.

I don't know if this is the result of a virus, or of my tinkering at the weekend. Fortunately, all of my personal files on the PC are backed up...but I don't know what to do next (and since Windows 7 Home Premium was pre-installed on the PC when it was bought, I don't have a disk from which I can do a re-installation), and I would welcome assistance to get my PC back to working in normal mode.

Hope someone can help!

arturdux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arturdux

arturdux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Message from arturdux:

I posted this case in the Windows 7 Forum on 24 January, but I have had no offers of help, and I now think it may be caused by an infection, so I have posted the latest on this case as a New Topic on the Am I Infected? forum.

arturdux - 31 January 2013

Edited by arturdux, 31 January 2013 - 07:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users