Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did Virus remove BITS service file?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thd_Mark

thd_Mark

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I saw the following "problem" on the Norton Internet Security/Norton AntiVirus website and saw that Bleedingcomputer.com solved this users problem;

******************************* Quote starts here ***********************************************************************************************************
did virus remove BITS service file?
Options
‎07-23-2012 04:10 PM

Hi Quads,

You recently helped me remove a virus which I am extremely thankful for. However, while trying to install Windows Update, I revieved "WindowsUpdate 80246008 error", which has to do with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).

I downloaded the microsoft fix 50202 and I have discovered my BITS services file is missing, and the fix stops saying "BITS Service failed to start". I looked for it under control panel/system/admin tools/servies and BITS is not there.

Could the virus have something to do with removing the BITS service file?

Thank you,
Tony
Win7 64

****************** Quote Ends Here ***************************************************************************************************************************

I am suffering from this problem, so I downloaded your farbar-service-scanner and ticked all the boxes and ran the scan, the FSS.txt output file is attached.

Should I download and apply the BITSWin7.reg file that you suggested to Tony?

Thanks in advance for your help
Mark

Attached Files

• Attached File  FSS.txt   4.84KB   5 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Should I download and apply the BITSWin7.reg file that you suggested to Tony?.......... I am suffering from this problem

Hi -
Without knowing the full problems that existed in your quoted example, you should not pick one bit of one fix.
Their problems may have been caused by many varied reasons, and this was just a part of the repairs used -
You do not say if you have had any Error Messages, or error numbers

FIRST -
1.Press WinKey + R to launch the RUN dialog, and type Services.msc
2.Double-click Windows Management Instrumentation
3.Set its Startup type to Automatic
4.Click Start to start the service, and click OK
5.Restart Windows

NEXT -
Make sure of the Windows Security Center service (WSCSVC) file exists on your computer. To verify do the following:
a. Click on Start.
b. In the start search box type services.msc and press Enter.
c. In the services windows scroll down and check if you have Security center service listed.
d. If you have the service listed you may try to right click on the service and start the service.

1. You may need to run System File Checker (SFC) tool:
If you are unable to find the service, you may run a System File Checker (SFC scan) and check if it helps you fix the issue.
The System File Checker tool to determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

To run the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
b. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue
c. At the command prompt, type the following line : sfc /scannow and then press ENTER. Note the space between c and /
This can take from 10 to 20 minutes to run, depnding on your system -

When the scan is complete, verify whether the issue that you are experiencing is resolved. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212to know more information about System File Checker tool.
If the SFC finds no problems go to Step 2.

2. Run Malicious Software Removal Tool:
Often this is caused by a virus so run Malicious Software Removal Tool (recommend full scan):
For 64-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=585D2BDE-367F-495E-94E7-6349F4EFFC74
For 32-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356
If you still have a problem, go to Step 3

3. Import this file into the Registry:
Download and apply this M/soft REG fix which reinstates the missing Security Center service:
http://www.winhelponline.com/temp/w7-wscsvc.zip
Note: It is from http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/misc-registry-fixes-for-windows-7-xp-vista/and is for Windows7 only.

Thank You -

#3 thd_Mark

thd_Mark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

noknojon,

Thanks for your reply.

The problem arose after we had removed a malware infection.
Windows update ceased working and we got the "WindowsUpdate_80246008" error message.
It was whilst following this error online that I came across the bleepingcomputer.com site.

I will follow your steps and hopefully solve this problem.

Once again, thanks for your response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users