Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not start

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 HarryMonster

HarryMonster

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Greetings, and thank you very much in advance for any help you can give.

The issue is my wife's notebook computer, a Lenovo G780 purchased about 4 months ago. It is running Win7 (x64) Home Professional and has Microsoft Security Essentials, MBAM Pro, WinPatrol, SpywareBlaster, WOT, and Secunia PSI installed. CCleaner was used periodically. MSE and MBAM scan and update daily. All others were up-to-date at the time of the crash.

After a recent Microsoft update, she rebooted the computer and it got stuck in a startup repair loop. Here's what happens: when I turn on the machine, it gives the option of "Launch Startup Repair" or "Start Windows normally." If I select the Start Windows normally option, there's a pause, then a very rapid BSOD flash which I cannot pause, freeze or read. Then the computer restarts and takes me back to the Launch Startup Repair or Start normally screen.

Suspecting a virus problem, I downloaded the Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Tool x64 (MSSSTool64) which I found here on Bleeping Computer. I burned it to a CD and ran it on the laptop. The program ran for a little over two hours, scanning everything, and the result was a clean machine, no viruses found. That was a relief, but it didn't fix anything.

I also had a disk with MemTest86+ on it, so I ran it for a few hours. The RAM in her machine tested fine. I'm thus fairly certain there aren't any hardware problems or malware issues -- though I could be wrong there. I couldn't think of other tests to run and didn't want to risk making the problem worse.

I cannot get the computer to boot into SafeMode. I wanted to try to restore it to an earlier restore point, but I can't get there. I am able to get to the BIOS but I didn't touch the settings in there. I can boot from a CD/DVD, which is how I ran MemTest and MSSSTool.

I have a Windows7 installation disc, so I tried the "Launch Startup Repair" option with the disc. It says it's loading files, then startup repair reports "Cannot repair this computer automatically." I click on the Don't Send option and then using the "View advanced options" I can get to the menu list which gives me various options including the CMD prompt. The repair options don't do anything except lead me back to the startup/repair loop again.

Please tell me what I can do from here. I do not wish to format the drive and reinstall Windows -- wife has many files she cannot afford to lose and her last backup was a week prior to the crash. I am hopeful I can get the machine to run again without reformatting it.

Thanks again!
- = M = -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Hello HarryMonster and :welcome: to the BC forums.

I want to get a look at that BSOD error message, so I need you to get to the "Advanced Boot Options" menu so that you can choose "Disable automatic restart on system failure". You would normally get to the Advanced Boot Options menu by tapping F8 on startup.

... when I turn on the machine, it gives the option of "Launch Startup Repair" or "Start Windows normally." If I select the Start Windows normally option ...

What happens if you press <F8> while looking at the screen giving you those choices?
  • Does this get you to the Advanced Boot Options menu?
If not, please try this ...

Immediately after you press <ENTER> to "Start Windows normally", start tapping the <F8> key.
  • Does this get you to the Advanced Boot Options menu?
  • Screenshot below is from XP, so your menu will look just a little different.
  • Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to start Windows normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.
Note the text in the lower left-side corner of the error message screen. In the example image above, it reads:
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical dump of memory complete.
Contact .................... for further assistance.
Please report what you see on your error screen if different.

When you have recorded the error message, you will need to press the RESTART button or the ON/OFF button (and hold for 5 seconds), to restart/switch off the computer.

Edited by AustrAlien, 23 January 2013 - 08:49 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 HarryMonster

HarryMonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hello AustrAlien and thank you so much for working with me on this!

When I start her machine it only offers two choices that I can see -- F2 for setup, which takes it to the BIOS menus, and F12, the boot device selection menu. I pressed F8 and nothing happened -- it went to that screen with the two choices.

Following your advice, I repeatedly tapped the F8 key after the "Start Windows normally" selection, and at first it didn't work. I was getting discouraged, but on the third try from that window, furiously tapping the F8 key as fast as I could do it, Eureka! I got the the Advanced Boot Options menu! (I am stunned... didn't know that was there!)

I "Disable(d) automatic restart on system failure" as you specified, and it worked. I was looking at the blue screen of death.

It's a little different from your picture, but I'll transcribe it for you:

First paragraph is identical to what you show: "A problem has been detected..."

There isn't a second part like what you have outlined in red on your screen pic. Instead, the second paragraph says: "If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:"

The third paragraph reads as follows: "Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

(FYI, the laptop doesn't have any "newly installed" devices. I also don't think it has a virus. I haven't run any CHKDSK /fix routines on it though, and I won't unless you tell me to do that.)

Finally, the BSOD has a Technical Information block similar to what you show in your picture. It looks like this:

"Technical Information:

"*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928,0xFFFFFFFFC0000034,0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)"

Below this technical information hex code, there is nothing... no further paragraph like the one in your picture.

Again, profuse thanks for getting me this far.

- = M = -

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Try Safe Mode from the Advanced Boot Options menu.
  • I expect you will see just a quick BSOD ?
    Let me know if perchance you have any success!
STOP 0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Usual causes: Hard drive, File system, Boot sequence errors, Device driver, Virus infection (in particular check the MBR)

In this particular case it's a STOP: 0x0000007B (, 0xC0000034, , ):
  • "It means Windows lost connection to the system partition (0x7B) because the device object was not found (0xC0000034)." ... VirGnarus
Let's create a bootable LIVE Linux CD or flashdrive and have a look at some possible causes of this error.
  • Firstly we'll check the MBR (Master Boot Record) which commonly causes this error if it is corrupted (damaged or infected by malware).

:step1: On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:

:step2: Boot the problematic computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic, and whether you are using a bootable CD or a flashdrive.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

:step3: At the PartedMagic Desktop, open a terminal window:
  • Locate the black screen/monitor icon (ROXTerm) along the bar at the bottom of the Desktop screen (third icon from the left-side edge).
  • Click on the ROXTerm icon to open a terminal window and at the prompt, type:

fdisk -l

Note: There is a space between "fdisk" and "-l".
    That is a lower case L as in Llama and not a ONE.

• ... and press <ENTER>.
  • Drag your mouse over the output to select it all.
  • Right-click somewhere in the area selected > Copy
    (In the next step, you will paste this in a reply.)
At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text that you copied in the terminal window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted text in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the text there.

:step4: At the PartedMagic Desktop, open a terminal window:
  • Click on the ROXTerm icon to open a terminal window and at the prompt, type:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Note: Leave a space between the following:
  • dd ... the executable application used to create the backup
  • if=/dev/sda ... the device the backup is created from (the hard drive when only one HDD exists)
  • of=mbr.bin ... the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
  • bs=512 ... the number of bytes in the backup
  • count=1 ... says to backup just 1 sector
  • It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.
[*]... and press the <ENTER> key.
A file named mbr.bin will be saved to the system in the "root" directory.
Note: This file is saved in memory only and will no longer exist when PartedMagic is shut down.
[/list]At the PartedMagic Desktop, double-click the File Manager icon (on Desktop):
  • A new window will open.
  • In the "root" directory you will see the file that you just created called mbr.bin.
  • Right-click on the mbr.bin file > New > Archive.
  • Under "Archive Format", choose the format .zip from the drop-down menu.
  • Click Save.
  • You should now see the zipped file, mbr.bin.zip in the root directory along with mbr.bin.
Please attach the mbr.bin.zip file to a reply to this topic.
  • When you click on Add Reply, you will see the facility to attach a file just below the box where you type your message.

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 January 2013 - 12:25 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Retrieve backup copies of your files as a precautionary measure at this stage ... and to ease your mind.

• Double-click the File Manager icon on the Desktop.
  • In the window that opens, you will see listed the partitions of the hard drive (sda1, sda2 etc).
  • Locate the partition from which you wish to copy files.
  • Copy your files to another device (flashdrive, internal or external hard drive).
    Let me know of any problem you encounter and the detail of any error messages that you see.
[/list]The easiest way to go about copying data is to:
  • Open two separate windows (using File Manager):
    • One window will display the folders/files that you intend to copy (the source).
    • The second window will display the location that you intend to save the folders/files (the destination).
  • Arrange (drag) the windows so that they are both visible (wholly or partially) on-screen at the same time.
    • Then, simply drag-and-drop folders/files from one window to the other.
      Note: Multiple folders/files can be selected to be copied at the same time.
    • Use the <Shift> key to select multiple consecutive/adjacent items with the mouse.
    • Use the <Ctrl> key to select multiple separate items with the mouse.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 HarryMonster

HarryMonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

G'day, AustrAlien!

Let me bring you up to where I am now -- I've only had partial success. Sorry it is so long between responses; I can't work on this machine full time so this process may take me a couple of days.

To begin with, you asked if I had any success getting to Safe Mode with the Advanced Boot Options. No joy, either with Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking... both just gave the BSOD flash and rebooted. Guess it was worth a try!

I downloaded Parted Magic from the link you provided, used an ISO burner to create a CD, and then booted the laptop with the Parted Magic disc. Step 1 complete.

I was able to boot with the CD and got to the Parted Magic desktop. Step 2 complete. So far, so good....

Next, you had me open the terminal window and execute the fdisk -l command. It ran, and I was able to highlight/copy the text.

Now, however, I've got a problem. I cannot get the Firefox Internet connection to work. The Firefox window opens with a "Server Not Found" error. Looking down at the bottom right side of the taskbar, I see I have no network connection. The laptop was previously used wirelessly. I thought I could perhaps use an Ethernet cable connection, so I plugged the Ethernet cable from my router into the laptop, but nothing happened. I cannot figure out how to connect the machine to the Internet. I know the Ethernet cable is good because I've used it with other computers; wife was just using it with an old backup machine. I also don't see in there how to log into my wireless network... I could do that if I can find the "connection wizard" or whatever they have.

If you like, I can try to retype the results of the terminal session here, but I won't be able to complete step 4 to get you the mbr.bin.zip file without a connection.

What should I do now? If you can tell me how to get the network connection up, either wirelessly or with the Ethernet cable, I can continue with the process you asked me to complete.

Thanks again,
- = M = -

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Do you have a flashdrive that you could use to save the files to and then transfer to a computer with internet connection to post to the forum?

Save the output of fdisk -l to a text file on the flashdrive.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

If you can tell me how to get the network connection up ...

• Menu > Networking > Start Network
  • Select the first option "Start a wired ... "
  • Click Continue and make any other appropriate choices, and hopefully ... success?

Edited to add ...
That was a remarkably good impression of an Australian ... or are you one?

G'day, AustrAlien!

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 January 2013 - 05:41 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 HarryMonster

HarryMonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

This approach has been very rough, but here is the output, best I can copy it... been having a lot of trouble with a flash drive, copying the file over, but I think I have prevailed!

I will attempt to get the mbr.bin.zip file also... still working on that.

- = M = -

root@partedmagic:~# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0eb7c4b3

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048      411647      204800    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2          411648   419842709   209715531    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3      1912561664  1953525167    20481752   12  Compaq diagnostics
/dev/sda4       419842710  1912561663   746359477    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda5       419842773   629619479   104888353+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
Partition 5 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda6       629619543   839396249   104888353+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
Partition 6 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda7       839396313  1859138189   509870938+   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
Partition 7 does not start on physical sector boundary.
/dev/sda8      1859149824  1912561663    26705920    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Partition table entries are not in disk order
root@partedmagic:~# 

#10 HarryMonster

HarryMonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Tried to do the network connection thing... after clicking the "Start a wired..." and Continue, it popped up a box that said, "Sorry, unable to obtain a lease."

I'm going to keep messing around with the flash drive and try to get you that zipped file.

I'm not an Aussie but have had a few good Aussie mates, including a buddy I went to the Navy Test Pilot School with in 1985. My wife and I are planning a trip to Australia to dive the Great Barrier Reef for our 40th wedding anniversary. I've always wanted to go there, but in all our travels, we've never made it down under.

Still working on the mbr.bin.zip.
- = M = -

#11 HarryMonster

HarryMonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Okay, I =think= I have it...

fingers crossed!

- = M = -

Attached Files

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

That's it! :thumbup2:
  • There's no problem there with either the MBR CODE or the partition table that I can see. :thumbup2:
MBR Analyzer v1.1.0

File : C:\Documents and Settings\GEOFF\Desktop\HarryMonster_BC\mbr.bin\mbr.bin

--------------------------------------------------------------

--OFFSET--  0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-A-B-C-D-E-F-  0123456789ABCDEF

0x00000000  33C08ED0BC007C8EC08ED8BE007CBF00  3.м.|..ؾ.|.
0x00000010  06B90002FCF3A450681C06CBFBB90400  ...Ph....
0x00000020  BDBE07807E00007C0B0F850E0183C510  ..~..|.......
0x00000030  E2F1CD1888560055C6461105C6461000  ..V.UF..F..
0x00000040  B441BBAA55CD135D720F81FB55AA7509  AU.]r..Uu.
0x00000050  F7C101007403FE46106660807E100074  ..t.F.f`.~..t
0x00000060  2666680000000066FF76086800006800  &fh....f.v.h..h.
0x00000070  7C680100681000B4428A56008BF4CD13  |h..h..B.V...
0x00000080  9F83C4109EEB14B80102BB007C8A5600  ........|.V.
0x00000090  8A76018A4E028A6E03CD136661731CFE  .v..N..n..fas.
0x000000A0  4E11750C807E00800F848A00B280EB84  N.u..~........
0x000000B0  5532E48A5600CD135DEB9E813EFE7D55  U2.V..]..>}U
0x000000C0  AA756EFF7600E88D007517FAB0D1E664  un.v...u.d
0x000000D0  E88300B0DFE660E87C00B0FFE664E875  ..`|..du
0x000000E0  00FBB800BBCD1A6623C0753B6681FB54  ...f#u;f.T
0x000000F0  435041753281F90201722C666807BB00  CPAu2...r,fh..
0x00000100  00666800020000666808000000665366  .fh....fh....fSf
0x00000110  5366556668000000006668007C000066  SfUfh....fh.|..f
0x00000120  6168000007CD1A5A32F6EA007C0000CD  ah....Z2.|..
0x00000130  18A0B707EB08A0B607EB03A0B50732E4  .........2
0x00000140  0500078BF0AC3C007409BB0700B40ECD  ....<.t....
0x00000150  10EBF2F4EBFD2BC9E464EB002402E0F8  .+d.$.
0x00000160  2402C3496E76616C6964207061727469  $.Invalid parti
0x00000170  74696F6E207461626C65004572726F72  tion table.Error
0x00000180  206C6F6164696E67206F706572617469   loading operati
0x00000190  6E672073797374656D004D697373696E  ng system.Missin
0x000001A0  67206F7065726174696E672073797374  g operating syst
0x000001B0  656D000000637B9AB3C4B70E00008020  em...c{.ķ.... 
0x000001C0  2100079F06190008000000400600009F  !..........@....
0x000001D0  071907FEFFFF004806009602001900FE  ......H.......
0x000001E0  FFFF12FEFFFF0060FF71B00D710200FE  ......`.q.q..
0x000001F0  FFFF0FFEFFFF964A06196A15F95855AA  ......J..j.XU

---------------------------[ MBR ]----------------------------

MBR_CODE        : 7 MBR Code
MD5             : BA49FECDF3363B85294268B0E0BF7792
SHA1            : E3724FC888212FDEF2F187210018522016E468A3
PARTITIONS      : 4
DISK_SIGNATURE  : B3C4B70E
SIGNATURE_ID    : AA55h

-----------------------[ PARTITION 1 ]------------------------

BOOTABLE        : YES
PARTITION_TYPE  : 0x07 ( NTFS / HPFS)
PARTITION_SIZE  : 200 Mo
STARTING_SECTOR : 2048
ENDING_SECTOR   : 411648
TOTAL_SECTORS   : 409600

-----------------------[ PARTITION 2 ]------------------------

BOOTABLE        : NO
PARTITION_TYPE  : 0x07 ( NTFS / HPFS)
PARTITION_SIZE  : 200 Go
STARTING_SECTOR : 411648
ENDING_SECTOR   : 419842710
TOTAL_SECTORS   : 419431062

-----------------------[ PARTITION 3 ]------------------------

PARTITION_TYPE  : 0x12 ( Diagnostic )
PARTITION_SIZE  : 19.53 Go
STARTING_SECTOR : 1912561664
ENDING_SECTOR   : 1953525168
TOTAL_SECTORS   : 40963504

-----------------------[ PARTITION 4 ]------------------------

PARTITION_TYPE  : 0x0F ( Extended [LBA] )
PARTITION_SIZE  : 711 Go
STARTING_SECTOR : 419842710
ENDING_SECTOR   : 1912561664
TOTAL_SECTORS   : 1492718954

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Let's check the condition of the hard drive by having a look at the S.M.A.R.T. data.

Note: Since you don't have an internet connection with PartedMagic, you will find it easier to simply save the GSmartControl report as a text file.
  • Save the text file to a flashdrive.
  • Transfer to a computer with internet connection to post to the forum.
  • If it's easier for you, simply attach the text file to a post, rather than paste the contents of the text file in CODE tags.
============================
  • Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 January 2013 - 07:54 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I would like to get a look at the Windows boot log.

• Double-click on File Manager.
  • Open sda2 (this is the Windows system partition, which in Windows is called C: drive).
  • Open the Windows folder.
  • Locate the file named ntbtlog.txt.
    • A log of each Safe Mode boot attempt is saved (by default) to this text file.
  • Zip up the ntbtlog.txt text file (I assume it may be large enough to warrant zipping ?) as you did for the mbr.bin file.
  • Attach the zip file to a reply.

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 January 2013 - 08:08 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 HarryMonster

HarryMonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Here is the SMART data... I'm working on getting the log file also.

- = M = -

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users