My wife installed an unsolicited program off of an ad that was supposed to be for handling 7zip archives. This was done while the antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) was deactivated. Ever since then, I have been unable to get rid of numerous problems:
1. Programs will not open when double-clicking their desktop shortcuts, nor will they open when single-clicking their quick launch toolbar icon or the icon in the start menu (I have to Right-click -> Open to open any shortcut, otherwise the icon just grays out and nothing happens).
2. The quick launch toolbar disappears every time I restart the computer.
3. New shortcuts cannot be added to the Start Menu when installing applications or the setup program will fail.
4. Error when trying to run Malwarebytes Antimalware: "Run-time error '372': Failed to load control 'WebBrowser' from ieframe.dll. Your version of ieframe.dll may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."
5. Ad Aware simply does not open, though it appears in the Processes tab of the Task Manager.
6. Numerous other problems I'm finding in other programs, like Windows Movie Maker.
I've tried the following:
1. Uninstalled the 7zip program.
2. Scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials, found nothing.
3. Scanned with Spybot Seek and Destroy, IOBit Malware Fighter, SmitFraudFix, Avast. Found a couple things (iCrossRider, Babylon Toolbar) but no apparent changes occurred after removal.
4. Rerun scans in safe mode.
5. Tried reinstalling Internet Explorer repeatedly, but installation always fails.
Thanks for the help.
Edited by RST, 23 January 2013 - 03:22 PM.