Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many problems following 7zip malware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RST

RST

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

My wife installed an unsolicited program off of an ad that was supposed to be for handling 7zip archives. This was done while the antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) was deactivated. Ever since then, I have been unable to get rid of numerous problems:

1. Programs will not open when double-clicking their desktop shortcuts, nor will they open when single-clicking their quick launch toolbar icon or the icon in the start menu (I have to Right-click -> Open to open any shortcut, otherwise the icon just grays out and nothing happens).
2. The quick launch toolbar disappears every time I restart the computer.
3. New shortcuts cannot be added to the Start Menu when installing applications or the setup program will fail.
4. Error when trying to run Malwarebytes Antimalware: "Run-time error '372': Failed to load control 'WebBrowser' from ieframe.dll. Your version of ieframe.dll may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."
5. Ad Aware simply does not open, though it appears in the Processes tab of the Task Manager.
6. Numerous other problems I'm finding in other programs, like Windows Movie Maker.

I've tried the following:

1. Uninstalled the 7zip program.
2. Scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials, found nothing.
3. Scanned with Spybot Seek and Destroy, IOBit Malware Fighter, SmitFraudFix, Avast. Found a couple things (iCrossRider, Babylon Toolbar) but no apparent changes occurred after removal.
4. Rerun scans in safe mode.
5. Tried reinstalling Internet Explorer repeatedly, but installation always fails.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by RST, 23 January 2013 - 03:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Download Windows Repair (all in one) from this site

Install the program then run it.

Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:

Posted Image

Once that is done then go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

Posted Image

Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

Posted Image

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

Posted Image

Please ensure that ONLY items seen in the image below are ticked as indicated (they're all checked by default):

Posted Image

Click on box next to the Restart System when Finished. Then click on Start.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users