Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bad hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Got another troubled hard drive here. Why can't computer issues be simple more often? ha.
This older lady asked me if I'd look at her computer. Tried to tell me it was asking for a disc or something. I said, "sure I can look at it".
I wish it was asking for a disc. When I turned it on, it said something along the lines of "disk read error". Something of that nature.
I took the drive out and boot to bios with no problem. So, I put the hdd back in and tried turning it on and booting to safe mode. No luck. Same error message. It's not able to read from the hdd. I figured just to check, I put the hdd in my tower. Turned my computer back on and.... waiting... waiting... took 10 or 15 minutes to boot, which is a LONG time for my computer... and once in, it tried installing device drivers. Another 5 minutes or so. And, drivers failed to install. Unable to view contents or properties of drive. Unable to reinstall drivers or even uninstall drive via device manager. My computer recognized it as a Toshiba drive. Knew the manufacturer... but, was unable to do anything else. At the moment, I'm unaware of anything else I can do to check the drive. I was hoping I could at least get into it with mine and run diagnostics but it's not looking like that will happen.
So..... I'm guessing, hdd is just useless at this point? I'm going to call the lady and find out when this was purchased... though, I have a feeling they didn't save a receipt OR register it. It doesn't look very old so it Could be under warranty if it was registered. After seeing a few comptuers with hdd issues lately, I'm trying to tell everyone I know to make sure they create recovery CDs AND register their products. Life is so much easier when you take precautions. :/

In case anyone has noticed I've been asking a lot more questions lately... and are curios. I'm trying to help people out locally. I'm a member of a group on facebook where people "pay it forward". I wanted to be a part of helping people out but I have no extra clothes, food, furniture, etc to pass out. I'm pretty good at troubleshooting a lot of computer problems and viruses and such so, I offered my services. People are coming out of the woodwork for help. It's insane how many people put off taking care of their computer because they don't want to mess with it themselves and don't have the money to fix it. I'm starting to get backed up. ha.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Got another troubled hard drive here. Why can't computer issues be simple more often? ha.
This older lady asked me if I'd look at her computer. Tried to tell me it was asking for a disc or something. I said, "sure I can look at it".
I wish it was asking for a disc. When I turned it on, it said something along the lines of "disk read error". Something of that nature.
I took the drive out and boot to bios with no problem. So, I put the hdd back in and tried turning it on and booting to safe mode. No luck. Same error message. It's not able to read from the hdd. I figured just to check, I put the hdd in my tower. Turned my computer back on and.... waiting... waiting... took 10 or 15 minutes to boot, which is a LONG time for my computer... and once in, it tried installing device drivers. Another 5 minutes or so. And, drivers failed to install. Unable to view contents or properties of drive. Unable to reinstall drivers or even uninstall drive via device manager. My computer recognized it as a Toshiba drive. Knew the manufacturer... but, was unable to do anything else. At the moment, I'm unaware of anything else I can do to check the drive. I was hoping I could at least get into it with mine and run diagnostics but it's not looking like that will happen.
So..... I'm guessing, hdd is just useless at this point? I'm going to call the lady and find out when this was purchased... though, I have a feeling they didn't save a receipt OR register it. It doesn't look very old so it Could be under warranty if it was registered. After seeing a few comptuers with hdd issues lately, I'm trying to tell everyone I know to make sure they create recovery CDs AND register their products. Life is so much easier when you take precautions. :/

In case anyone has noticed I've been asking a lot more questions lately... and are curios. I'm trying to help people out locally. I'm a member of a group on facebook where people "pay it forward". I wanted to be a part of helping people out but I have no extra clothes, food, furniture, etc to pass out. I'm pretty good at troubleshooting a lot of computer problems and viruses and such so, I offered my services. People are coming out of the woodwork for help. It's insane how many people put off taking care of their computer because they don't want to mess with it themselves and don't have the money to fix it. I'm starting to get backed up. ha.

Sounds like an HD to me bud. I'd look into the warranty situation as you've stated, but regardless it sounds like a replacement is inevitable.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I decided to check and see if I could check the status on toshiba's site, and sure enough I could. It WAS under warranty and had been registered at one point... But, it was bought 11/2010 and warranty expired 11/2011. So, it's older than I thought.
I always feel bad when I have to tell someone something like this. They need a new hard drive. She's older and on disability.
What can you do? Called and she's not home so I'll have to talk to her about it later.

#4 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I decided to check and see if I could check the status on toshiba's site, and sure enough I could. It WAS under warranty and had been registered at one point... But, it was bought 11/2010 and warranty expired 11/2011. So, it's older than I thought.
I always feel bad when I have to tell someone something like this. They need a new hard drive. She's older and on disability.
What can you do? Called and she's not home so I'll have to talk to her about it later.

Gotta do what you gotta do my man. You just saved her at least $50 for diagnosing it, and I'm assuming you'll install it for her as well(At least another $75 saved there). No need to feel guilty, you're doing a very kind thing and should be very proud of yourself. If that was my grandmother, I'd buy you lunch.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

:step1: On a working computer, please download the latest version of PartedMagic:
Write (in the appropriate manner) the downloaded .iso file to either CD or USB/flashdrive:

:step2: Boot the problematic computer from the PartedMagic CD or flashdrive:
  • At the first menu with Default settings (Runs from RAM) selected, press <ENTER>.
    Be patient while PartedMagic loads into memory, and then displays its Desktop.
Success? Let me know if you can successfully boot to the Desktop of PartedMagic, and whether you are using a bootable CD or a flashdrive.

Posted Image
The Desktop of PartedMagic (version 2012-08-09)

:step3: At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.
  • In the GSmartControl window that opens, double-click on the device that represents the hard drive.
  • In the Device Information window that opens, click View Output.
    A Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click in the text output > Select All.
  • Right-click in the selected area > Copy.
In the next step you will paste this text into your topic reply.
At the PartedMagic Desktop:
  • Double-click on the Firefox icon to open the Firefox browser window.
  • Enter the BC forums address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums in the address box and press <ENTER>.
  • Sign in to the forums and locate your topic.
  • Paste the text from the Smartctl Output window in a reply to your topic.

Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved.
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

I'm not entirely sure how that would work when neither computer could read a thing off the drive. But, I may try when I get a chance at some point today. Though, last time I tried(several times) to get parted magic to work on my flash drive, it wouldn't. I ended up putting ubuntu on it instead. I'm not sure what the deal was.

#7 DigitalFamilyMember

DigitalFamilyMember

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Lol I know i might sound like a n00b but i thought viruses are stored in the main memory of the PC, not the hard drive ?

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

In my experience, most viruses I've handled have been on hard drives.... BUT, I'm not sure how that has anything to do with this topic. This hard drive could not be read, from the laptop it was in OR my own computer. I can't say whether that hard drive has any viruses but that has nothing to do with its readability. It's failing.
And I say failING because I managed to get into it.

Some of you may not approve of what I did... and, I can't say 100% for certain what I did had any impact on it(ha, impact... you'll get that in a second...)
I was talking to an IT guy at church last night. He mentioned that SOMETIMES you can at least temporarily get stuck hdds to work. He had two "tricks" that he's had work. One was to put it in a freezer for 16 hours or so. He said sometimes things in there just get stuck and doing certain things to them can free them up. Not a cure by any means. Other method he suggested was to hold the hard drive a few inches off a flat hard surface, like a table, and bang it down. Too hard and you would obviously do some bad damage but just right and you can get it freed up.
Well... I forgot to attempt putting it in the freezer last night and wanted to give something a try... so... I held it up over a vcr(non-working anyway) and just gave it a slight smack. not hard at all.
I put it back into the laptop, plugged in my flash drive with ubuntu on it, and booted it to ubuntu. It saw the drive and opened it. It's slow and hesitant... failed moving a couple pictures... but, I'm backing some data up. After I back up a few things I intend to run some diagnostics. For now, just saving what data I can.
I'll let you know if I can run a scan of some sort on it later.

Edit: I'm going to try the parted magic from a dvd. Last time I tried using that I had to use unetbootin on a flash drive and it would NOT work for me. But that was on a computer missing the cd/dvd drive. This one has one so I'll give that option a try. Will let you know how it goes.

Edited by millipede, 24 January 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Here goes nothing. I had to save a file to the usb device as, I haven't gotten the wireless turned on or something with that laptop so far. If I NEED to, I have a wired connection on another laptop that I can put into it later.
Anyway... here's the output. (Under the error log tab, there are errors... and under the "attributes" tab, it lists quite a few things as pre-failure and old age)

smartctl 6.0 2012-10-10 r3643 [i686-linux-3.6.10-pmagic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-12, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Toshiba 2.5" HDD MK..65GSX
Device Model:     TOSHIBA MK6465GSX
Serial Number:    506JB1MTB
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 289a818a9
Firmware Version: GJ003M
User Capacity:    640,135,028,736 bytes [640 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate:    5400 rpm
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Thu Jan 24 14:27:08 2013 UTC
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00)	Offline data collection activity
					was never started.
					Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
					without error or no self-test has ever 
					been run.
Total time to complete Offline 
data collection: 		(  120) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
					Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
					Suspend Offline collection upon new
					command.
					Offline surface scan supported.
					Self-test supported.
					No Conveyance Self-test supported.
					Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
					power-saving mode.
					Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
					General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 ( 192) minutes.
SCT capabilities: 	       (0x003d)	SCT Status supported.
					SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
					SCT Feature Control supported.
					SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   098   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   100   100   001    Pre-fail  Always       -       1915
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       1481
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   068   068   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       1912
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   100   100   050    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       1921
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0033   129   100   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       1453
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       50
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       140443722
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       17576
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       31 (Min/Max 2/47)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       445
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       138
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
220 Disk_Shift              0x0002   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       105
222 Loaded_Hours            0x0032   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       1732
223 Load_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
224 Load_Friction           0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
226 Load-in_Time            0x0026   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       304
240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0001   100   100   001    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
ATA Error Count: 18646 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
	CR = Command Register [HEX]
	FR = Features Register [HEX]
	SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
	SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
	CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
	CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
	DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
	DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
	ER = Error register [HEX]
	ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

Error 18646 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1921 hours (80 days + 1 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 41 02 63 09 00 60  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x00000963 = 2403

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
  60 08 00 60 09 00 40 00      00:04:32.687  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 00      00:04:32.687  SET FEATURES [Reserved for Serial ATA]
  27 00 00 00 00 00 e0 00      00:04:32.686  READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS EXT
  ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00      00:04:32.686  IDENTIFY DEVICE
  ef 03 45 00 00 00 a0 00      00:04:32.685  SET FEATURES [Set transfer mode]

Error 18645 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1921 hours (80 days + 1 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --

60 08 00 60 09 00 40 00      00:04:28.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 58 09 00 40 00      00:04:28.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 50 09 00 40 00      00:04:28.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 48 09 00 40 00      00:04:28.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 40 09 00 40 00      00:04:28.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 18644 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1921 hours (80 days + 1 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 41 0a 63 09 00 60  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x00000963 = 2403

60 08 08 60 09 00 40 00      00:04:05.858  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 00 00 00 40 00      00:04:05.858  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 00 f8 2e 40 00      00:04:05.846  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 00 e8 8e 40 00      00:04:05.841  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 20 e8 2e 40 00      00:04:05.841  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 18643 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1921 hours (80 days + 1 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --

60 08 00 60 09 00 40 00      00:04:01.504  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 58 09 00 40 00      00:04:01.503  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 50 09 00 40 00      00:04:01.503  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 48 09 00 40 00      00:04:01.503  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 40 09 00 40 00      00:04:01.503  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 18642 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1921 hours (80 days + 1 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --

60 08 00 60 09 00 40 00      00:01:38.497  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 00 00 f8 2e 40 00      00:01:38.484  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 00      00:01:38.483  SET FEATURES [Reserved for Serial ATA]
  27 00 00 00 00 00 e0 00      00:01:38.483  READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS EXT
  ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00      00:01:38.483  IDENTIFY DEVICE

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

#10 DigitalFamilyMember

DigitalFamilyMember

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Omg so its possible to code a virus for any of the hardware components ?

Is it possible that a USB memory stick or a phone cam contain a virus ?

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Attributes relating to failing/failed sectors on the hard drive:
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   068   068   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       1912
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       445
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       138
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

1912 sectors have been marked as "bad" and another 138 reported as problematic/unreadable.

The hard drive is failing badly and will need to be replaced.

Edited to add ...
You may find this interesting: Accessing and Assessing a Hard Drive’s S.M.A.R.T. Data

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 January 2013 - 03:20 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#12 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Omg so its possible to code a virus for any of the hardware components ?

Is it possible that a USB memory stick or a phone cam contain a virus ?

If a virus was in your memory it'd be deleted as soon as you turned your computer off. A virus will hide on your storage device, and then load into your memory. Realistically yes a usb drive or phone could get a virus, but it's not nearly as common as your C: drive(hard drive) on your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users