Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PrtScn Key Acutally Printing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JaCHyde

JaCHyde

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'm on Windows 7 and have run into the annoyance of my PrtScn key actually bringing up the print dialog box to print. It still copies the screen to the clipboard for a paste into paint, but I can't figure out why it's bringing up the dialog to print or how to turn that off. I have seen it before maybe 8 years ago on Windows XP but do not remember what was done to correct it. When I try to search, I just find posts about it not working or how to turn the whole screen capture function off for the PrtScn button. Has anyone else run into this?
JaC-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,850 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

If I'm not mistaken. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The functionality of Print Screen as we know it in XP was replaced by the Snipping Tool in Windows 7. Therefore the result you see now is the way it's intended to work in Windows 7. The Snipping Tool in Windows 7 should give you the results you are looking for with the Print Screen functionality in XP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

@ Animal - My Windows 7 Print Screen key works like XP's. It captures the Desktop and sends it to Clipboard.

@ JaCHyde - I'm not sure what is causing of your problem. Like you, I haven't found any good information so far, other than it shouldn't be happening.
The Windows 7 Snipping Tool, as Animal suggested is a good alternative until you find a solution.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,850 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

@Artrooks

Thank you for adding a reply. Much appreciated. I don't have Win 7 so I could only go with what information I was told by others. Thats why i was open to being corrected by someone who knew first hand.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Another option is to use a different print screen program. I use Screenhunter Free. I like it because it captures the screen without having to open Paint and paste it there. Like Paint they can be edited. There is a bit of a learning curve to it but is not difficult to figure out. I usually leave it running in the background and use the keyboard shortcut to capture the image. I also have it set to send all shots to a Screenhunter folder I created.

I know this doesn't solve your issue but it is an alternative until you get the issue resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users