Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home built PC and Old HD wants XP Re-activated

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shruboakeng

shruboakeng

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Hi, my existing PC is an old HP Pavilion that I want to performance boost with a new MB (ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0), a new CPU (Phenom II X4 965), memory (Kingston 8GB Hyper Blue), new DVD read/writer (LG Super Multi Blue), and new video card - GeForce 8400 GS (1MB ram), but use the old HD (WD Caviar 250GB Sata drive). The plan was to keep the programs and OS from the old HD.

When I set up the new MB and started it up, Windows is asking me to Re-validate the XP OS, and when I do with the Product Key, it says its not allowed.

A bit of background, the old HP Pavilion came with XP Media Edition on it. When my old Laptop died, I used the XP Professional OS disk from the dead laptop to 'upgrade' the HP to XP Professional. It did, and has been working fine for 7 or 8 years... getting updates from Microsoft and passing what ever "Real Microsoft Product" tests are part of the MS XP Updates come with.

now when I put the HD in the new homebrewed hardware ... no go! Is there a way to get around this? or do I need to go and buy a new HD and OS like Windows 7?

Appreciate any help or advice someone can give.

Thanks ...
BernieP2

Edited by shruboakeng, 23 January 2013 - 11:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

If both of these computers were HPs then I can see where MS might have not recognized that there had been a switch of computers. But when you changed the motherboard that was caught.

There are two versions of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer," and these versions are sold to computer system builders like Dell or Gateway. These versions have a few limitations like support and licensing. OEM versions are tied to the original computer the operating system is installed on, so you cannot install or use it on another machine. Retail versions of Windows XP are fully supported, and you can install it on any machine. You can detect an OEM version of Windows XP by viewing the packaging or the hologram on the installation CD.

This now gets into a sticky situation, one of our forum rules is "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures." Because of this I can't tell you what I probably would do myself.

There is another potential problem involving your hdd.

When you take a hdd with a Windows OS installed on it that you have been using on one computer and then install it in another computer which you are going to boot from the drive you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here .

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error."[/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shruboakeng

shruboakeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Arachi...

Thanks for your response. I'm sure what you would do is to start the new PC from the DVD loaded with the OEM XP cd and re-load the XP Professional OS. My concern is that the existing programs that I have on the HDD would be wiped out and inaccessable.

Am I correct in that?

BernieP2

#4 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

What version of XP are you running? 32 or 64 bit? It might be a moot point to install 8 gigs of shiny new RAM when your OS only recognizes a little over 3 gigs. IMHO, I'd drop the extra money into Win 7 64... I may be wrong, but I think your ASUS MB has a 64 bit AMD?
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#5 shruboakeng

shruboakeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

OOPs ... wrong address name ... Should have addressed that to DC3.

My apologies,

Berniep2

#6 shruboakeng

shruboakeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

TriggerJinxed,

Thanks for the reply ... yes! you are correct, the new MB is AMD 64 bit compatible. I knew that when I bought the 8Gig ram. The plan (there really was a plan) was to move to Win7 once the new box was up and running ... at my leisure.

I'm no fan of Win 7 ... I have it on my Toshiba Laptop. I started with Dos 2.1 and have worked my way thru win3, win 95, win 98, etc. As a user, they all seemed to build on one another ... don't have that cozy feeling with Win7 ... I guess that's MY problem.

Thanks again ...
Berniep2

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Arachi...

Thanks for your response. I'm sure what you would do is to start the new PC from the DVD loaded with the OEM XP cd and re-load the XP Professional OS. My concern is that the existing programs that I have on the HDD would be wiped out and inaccessable.

Am I correct in that?

BernieP2

If you install the operating system over the existing copy you will lose everything on the hdd. Do you have the installation disc for this operating system?

The problem here is that even if you reinstall the operating system you will have to activate it. MS looks at certain components in the computer to determine if the copy of the operating system is legitimate. By changing the motherboard it will recognize the change and require an explanation for this change.

Have you purchased the components which you listed in your first post? If not I would suggest considering purchasing a new computer, you can purchase a new HP desktop computer for as little as $329.00 at Office Depot.

In regards to your RAM. A 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not be able to utilize the total amount because the address space is only 4GB in size, the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well. A 64-bit operating system's architecture is a little bit different, but it basically has about 8 TB of space. With this amount of space the limiting factor for the amount of RAM you can use is what the motherboard will recognize.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 shruboakeng

shruboakeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

DC3 ...

Thanks for your reply ...

Yes I have the Installation disk for the XP Pro OS.

I guess I have to plead guilty to not doing my homework on the XP OS. I haven't built my own box in 15+ years. I used to build my own (and neighbors and my kids) systems, and decided to try to build my own again (I'm now retired now and have the time) .... but I was dealing with WIn 98 back then. XP is very different animal!!

I may have to break down and buy a copy of Win 7 64bit OS ... the cost of my education I guess.

Thanks

BernieP2

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Before making this purchase I would suggest that you make sure that your computer will support Window 7, you can find the system requirements here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users