Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly restarts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 marionyoshi

marionyoshi

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm not the most tech savvy person but I know most of the lingo and how to do basic things involving computer components. Basically my computer randomly shuts off and turns back on, it's rather strange because only when I'm running a game or watching videos online it does this. When I boot it back up about 1 of every 4 times it my ASUS motherboard reports over surges. So I went out and bought a surge protector for my wall outlet, plugged it in, it worked for a day but just this morning it started doing it again. Now when it does it, it never reports anti-surge protection anymore, only that "Windows has shutdown from an unexpected error..."

Here are my specs:
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz quad core
ATI Radeon Sapphire 6850
RAM 4096MB
PSU Corsair CX500 500W
MOBO ASUS M5A78L-M LX

It is not an overheating issue, I have temps running 24/7 on my sidebar and they never exceed a high amount before a shutdown, I ran my most intensive game for about an hour and the peak point my GPU reached was 52C, my CPU reached a max of 42C. I suspect it's a PSU or MOBO or GPU problem but how could I diagnose it to make sure? I don't have a spare computer lying around to test the parts. I also read when googling this problem that it could be a virus or spyware, but I'd ran countless scans and haven't found anything. Maybe should I try reinstalling Windows as well?

Thanks for reading/helping in advance, I'd really like this problem taken care of.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 marionyoshi

marionyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Done, do I wait for another BSOD and post it when it happens? The program is blank and doesn't show any of the past BSOD reports (if they were BSOD, it never showed the screen when it reboots).

#4 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Sounds like a power supply issue to me.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Done, do I wait for another BSOD and post it when it happens? The program is blank and doesn't show any of the past BSOD reports (if they were BSOD, it never showed the screen when it reboots).

No, that's fine thanks. I wanted to know if the reboots were being caused by blue screen errors. It certainly does sound like hardware and I agree it could be the power supply, but it could also be ram or something else entirely. No harm in checking ram:

Download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#6 iceman85

iceman85

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Usually this is a memory problem. I think memtest is able to test your RAM before you even boot into windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users