Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Player Wont Detect Cds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 die4me

die4me

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:55 AM

Ok here's my predicament:

I recently got hit with a lethal spyware package that contained multiple programs. I managed to get rid of everything using panda, cleanup, ewido, and manually deleting files. My computer is rather new (2 weeks old). All of this happened yesterday. As part of the cleanup I was manually deleting any files that I saw were created on March 27 assuming they were files that were neccessary (also deleted some earlier dated files in march). Unfornately I must have deleted something important because today my dvd player wont detect any of my cds anymore. I also disabled a lot of start up programs using msconfig.

I have windows XP pro and installed all the service packs (came with sp2). If I had to guess I'd say I'm missing a system32 or windows file but I'll let you guys determine what the problem is.

When I bought the computer at bestbuy I told them I wanted the windows XP cd but they wouldn't give it to me. They said "create a backup cd using your cd burner" =P There is no one I can borrow it from...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:25 AM

Some computers come with a restore partition which you use instead of the Windows XP cd to restore your system to the condition it was in when new.

What brand and model of computer do you have?
Call support at its manufacturer and demand the appropriate restore AND Windows cds now, because if your hard drive fails and you have to replace your hard drive at any time in the future, the restore partition will be history.
If the support representative doesn't comply with your request demand to speak to a supervisor, their supervisor and on up the line until you reach someone who will comply with what you ask for.

If they try to tell you that Microsoft prohibits them from issuing a Windows CD, it is not the truth.

OK - Lets work on your current problem:

Open your device manager and go to the section where your optical drives are. Open the "trees" by clicking on the + sign.

Do you see any yellow or red warning marks? If you do, delete anything that has one, then reboot and let windows find and reinstall them choosing only Windows Update as the source for Windows to find the drivers.

If Windows Update doesn't have the appropriate drivers go to the support site at the manufacturer (of your computer) and download the drivers saving them in a place where you will be able to find them.

Then use the install hardware utility in the control panel to reinstall your optical drives if you have deleted them or the device manager to install the drivers - whichever is applicable.

Let us know.

#3 die4me

die4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:52 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I reinstalled the dvd drive using device manager and plug and play. I will definitely call emachines and try to get the windows cd.

If microsoft doesn't prohibit them from issuing a windows cd does that mean they are paying for the cd themselves? If so what do I do if they tell me that they're going to charge me for it?

Oh and my computer specs:

2.2 GHZ athelon, model t6420, windows xp home sp2

Edited by die4me, 29 March 2006 - 11:55 AM.

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:57 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I reinstalled the dvd drive using device manager and plug and play. I will definitely call emachines and try to get the windows cd.

If microsoft doesn't prohibit them from issuing a windows cd does that mean they are paying for the cd themselves? If so what do I do if they tell me that they're going to charge me for it?

MS is afraid that you will copy the XP cd and give it to your friends....that's why they don't distribute it with new computers anymore. They want you to pay for it :thumbsup: . I don't know if they will give you the cd, but it can't hurt to try. :flowers:

#5 die4me

die4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:43 PM

Well I think it would be very difficult to get ahold of emachines (wait hours on the phone). Maybe I could go after bestbuy? I don't see why microsoft is worried, aren't most of their cd's encoded with an online serial number?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:49 PM

Oh and my computer specs:

2.2 GHZ athelon, model t6420, windows xp home sp2

Bestbuy will not be able to provide the disks. Only Emachines can, and it should not be that difficult to contact their support.

If your computer is new and still under warranty they should not charge you anything, that's why it is important you call them now, before the warranty is up. If you wait, they will charge you.

The Microsoft License is good for the computer you bought, and only that computer. It is not transferable to another computer as it would have been if you had bought a retail version (after convincing Microsoft it is no longer on the original computer or components you bought it for). What Emachines will send you is what is called an OEM version disk.

It cannot be used to install XP on any other computer because to install XP and authenticate it you need the 25 digit Windows XP Key number which will already be specific to only your computer. If you try to install it on another computer the authentication will fail because component MAC numbers on any other computer will not match what Microsoft will have registered for the ones your computer has - IE the motherboard, the graphics display adapter, and those of several other components Microsoft uses to correlate the license to your computer only.

You should also demand the manufacturer's system restore disk which will in addition to having Win XP will also have all the drivers for whatever your specific computer came with and will restore your computer to the exact software condition it was in when you got it. This is actually preferable to a Windows XP cd.
Ask for one with both destructive and non-destructive restore on it if they can provide it, although they may not be able to provide a disk that can give that choice.

If they won't give you both disks - take the manufacturer's system restore disk specific to your computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 March 2006 - 01:50 PM.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

HP and Compaq have a setup that will make a single set of 8 CD's that will be exactly the same as what you would get if you ordered CD's from the company. They can only be used with that computer and you can only make one set. I do not know if eMachines has something similar, but you could certainly contact their support center to find out.

#8 die4me

die4me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:23 PM

I emailed emachines and here is what they said:

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting eMachines.

I see that you have concern with recovery cd for your T6420 eanchine
system.

Because all new system shipped with a System Recovery CD/DVD (Operating
System) their only option is to create a Drivers and Applications CD.

Please refer to the link below on how to create a Drivers and
Applications Cd.

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medi...MLXPH1su4.shtml

I apologize for the inconvenience but your request is not possible.

I hope that the above information is helpful in resolving this issue.

Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with
this
issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to
ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my
colleagues.

Sincerely,

Lane
Badge EME0047

Is this bs or are they telling the truth?

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

That sounds like all you get. IIRC, there was a class-action suit brought against Compaq regarding not supplying CD's. That led them to figure out a way to let customers make a backup copy of their software. I'm sure others in the industry followed suit. The good thing about it is that your restore disk should restore specific drivers as well as the operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users