Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can drive images be shifted across computers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Random Bob

Random Bob

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

I recently came across drive imaging software. I love PING and Clonezilla. I made a backup of my computer.

Now I have a doubt if drive images will work on different computers. I think windows may not work if I do it. Have any of you guys tried it? I also know that unnecessary drivers may be left installed. But the main question is will Windows work if I transfer a drive image to a different computer?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

the qick answer is no ,unless maybe if the computer its going to is identical to the one its coming from ,because it has al lthe drivers for the motherboard and other devices ,and then there is the Microsoft licensing of the OS

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

It can be done either from manual offline editing of registry to fix driver problems (Very Hard) after restore ... or using some such as Acronis True Image with Universal Restore add-on (Somewhat easier but still problematic).

Generally it is easier to install OS and Software than bring your clone/image over to a new computer.

#4 Random Bob

Random Bob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

I've another question. Is shifting a drive image from PC to PC the same as shifting a Hard disk from one PC to another? And if this is the case I assume that hard disk shifting will have the same problem as you guys mentioned.

#5 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

if you are talking about taking the hard drive outta one computer and moving it to another computer to access the files... then no it's not the same thing. If you are talking about moving the drive to a new computer to boot the OS and use the same programs that installed on that drive... then yes it is the same thing and you would run into the same problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users