Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not seeing home network using wifi

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

I have a d-link 2640b modem/router which drives my network. The network is 2 XP machines on lan, and 1 XP netbook wifi.

All was working fine until this morning - when the netbook was turned on it did not auto connect to our wireless connection, but the network list did show the network of the neighbours. I have refreshed the network list a number of times. Until this point I had changed no settings on any of the equipment.

The LAN is still working fine, the wlan light on the router is on, and I have checked the router setup - the diagnostic shows no problems. I have manually set the channel in case that did something, but that had no effect (channel is now set to "auto channel scan" again)

As I can see the neighbours, I assume the problem is the wireless in the router. Time for a new router, or is there something I can do before that? I could press the reset button, but I am not sure that will help, nor that I can remember how to set the network up again (it's winter, I have brain fade...) Is there a real way of checking that the wireless is transmitting receiving, or is the network list my only option? I do not have another wifi enable piece of equipment.

EDIT - I have rebooted all the equipment a number of times, just in case, you know...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Second edit. I had to go out for a couple of hours, so I turned everything off and unplegged it. When I retsarted everything it was like I had never had a problem. Strange

Edited by wizardofaus, 23 January 2013 - 08:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Glad you got it working! thanks for the update :thumbup2:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer