Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access any programs after startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bagwan

bagwan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Hi, I'm assisting a friend with computer problems.

Operating system is Windows Vista.

System will start up as normal and present the usual desktop.

Icons and menu items will not start and an error message will state "cannot find path for this file" (or words to that effect).

Programs such as Internet Explore will not startup so net cannot be accessed.

I have:

Started in Safemode with networking. I get the same error message and no access to any programs, files or the net.

Any Ideas gang..

Thanks in advance
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Hi Paal,try running SFC
Please run SFC (System File Checker)
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users