Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Windows Firewall and Defender

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 max03

max03

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

Hello, I need help with restoring Windows Firewall and Defender. I am running Windows 7 64 Bit. A few weeks ago I was infected by a trojan called "System Progressive protection". I used an uninstall guide for removal but I am unable to enable Windows Firewall and Defender. I get Error 0x800070424 whenever I try to open either Windows Firewall and Defender.
I am currently using anti-virus software provided by my internet service provider, but I would still like the option of having Windows Firewall and Defender available to me. I am not very computer literate and would appreciate any help. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joseph Edwards VIII

Joseph Edwards VIII

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hello, I need help with restoring Windows Firewall and Defender. I am running Windows 7 64 Bit. A few weeks ago I was infected by a trojan called "System Progressive protection". I used an uninstall guide for removal but I am unable to enable Windows Firewall and Defender. I get Error 0x800070424 whenever I try to open either Windows Firewall and Defender.
I am currently using anti-virus software provided by my internet service provider, but I would still like the option of having Windows Firewall and Defender available to me. I am not very computer literate and would appreciate any help. Thanks!

So that's what that trojan is called. I encountered this exact problem (0x800070424) just a few days ago actually... howuzzat? ...

Try doing a System Restore to the most recent point in time before the trojan hit. Should only take about 20 minutes. Here's a how-to.

#3 max03

max03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I can't do a system restore as I deleted all the restore points before I did the uninstallation of the trojan. This was recommended as I don't know exactly when my computer became infected.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hello max03 -
Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
•Make sure the following options are checked:
  • Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender
•Press "Scan".
•It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
•Please copy and paste this log to your reply.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users