Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal Pad above GPU is torn

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Espozito

Espozito

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

Hello,

I wanted to clean out some dust from my CPU fan, so I removed the heatsink from my laptop (Dell calls it a processor thermal-cooling assembly). After doing so, I realized that the thermal pad that sits on top of the GPU is now ripped. What are my options as far as repairing or replacing this thermal pad?

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, and the GPU is integrated into the motherboard. Oddly, the processor has a layer of thermal paste above it but the GPU has this stupid thermal pad.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I don't have a ton of experience with heatsinks or working with thermal materials. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

That,s different. There must be a height difference between GPU and CPU. In this video
the guy just slammed it back together. I would be inclined to clean both off and put new paste and pad back on.

In this video the guy replaced the paste but not the pad
Your call

#3 Espozito

Espozito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Thank you for your help. If there is a bigger gap between the heat sink and the GPU, would it be possible to just apply a thicker layer of thermal paste instead of replacing the thermal pad?

Otherwise, I was going to order one of these but I don't know if it is what I am looking for.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&sku=UP755&s=dhs

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Geeze, how the heck do you "refurbish" a thermal pad. <_< I would think a local computer repair guy would give you a piece if he had it, but yeah its the right one for your machine.

Paste is meant to fill in tiny irregularities in the top of the processor and bottom of the heatsink. If it is applied to thick, you risk the chance that the heat from the chip will cause the paste to spread out and drop, losing its optimum cooling ability. Sometimes making it worse than having none.

I'd say the pad was put there for a reason and I would stick with it.

#5 Espozito

Espozito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Okay I'll stick with the pad then, thank you again for you help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users