Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get into safe mode...result in "blue screen."

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UsuallyHuman

UsuallyHuman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Running Dell Dimension E510 with Windows XP sp3 (can't figure out if it's 32 or 64-bit).

I recently tried to get into safemode, but it causes desktop to shut down, resulting in blue screen with the following error message:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (OFX789E524, OXC0000034, 0X00000000, OXOOOOOOOO).

Had to press power button to shut it down. Restarted, pressing F5 (I know I'm supposed to use F8, but I recall that I used F5 and it worked) key repeatedly to get into safemode. Same thing.

But it starts up fine when started up normally.

Currently I'm also trying to get rid of the a redirect virus, but that's another matter. Other symptoms include very slow start up. About 5% of the time, I try to log in, but it stalls before displaying the "Start" button; this requires that I log out through the task manager and try logging in again.

I've run Rkill, Malwarebytes, 3lExplorer, Anvi Smart Defender. I removed a couple of viruses/malware, including the ransome virus. Before, I'd have audio from a commercial randomly play for a few seconds.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. It's possible malware is the cause of the issue. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 January 2013 - 08:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hi, I'm just a user here, and I'm sure a moderator will come around. The key to hit for safe mode IS F8. I wouldn't play with the function keys, and during a restart, one of the screens tells you to hit F8 for safe boot. You can tap the F8 key more than once during the restart.

I've downloaded Super Anti Spyware (SAS) from Bleeping, and use it often. It is freeware, and it has a boot safe option on the menu. Right-click the safe boot option, to create a shortcut (another icon for safe boot will appear on the menu), and then click and hold to pull the second shortcut to the desktop. If this is confusing, I apologize, you can just download SAS and use the shortcut that's on its menu.

#3 Dell-Jesse L

Dell-Jesse L

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

UsuallyHuman,

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your computer. Below is information that may help you resolve this issue. The oxc0000034 error may be caused by windows system files damage. The corrupted system files entries can be a real threat to the well being of your computer.

There can be many events which may have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above actives may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows system files. This corrupted system file will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.

2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.

3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.

4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.

5) Click Next on the confirmation window.

6) Restarts the computer when the restoration is finished.

You may also try booting to the Windows Disk and running a repair install.
If none of these issues resolve the problem you will need to manuall reinstall Windows, Drivers and Sofware.

How to Manually Reinstall Windows
Dimension Drivers Download Page

Thank You,
Dell-Jesse L
Dell Social Media and Communities

Edited by Dell-Jesse L, 25 January 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#4 JoanneMT

JoanneMT

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

UsuallyHuman, gee did I miss the boat. That is why I am not a moderator. Sorry about that.

Dell-Jesse L, I am glad you came around - thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users