Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI - DVI-D cable not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 asphyxiate9

asphyxiate9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

I'm a little confused here

I have two monitors, a Samsung S23B350 and a HP 2159m

I tried to connect a DVI-D to HDMI cable to both of my monitors but nothing displays. It doesn't matter what end is connected to the PC, both dont work. But in the long run the DVI end has to be connected to the PC if I want to duel screen because I only have 1 hdmi output.

HDMI-HDMI works fine though, on both monitors.

Is it because it is a DVI-D to HDMI cable? Should I just buy a DVI-D to DVI-D cable? or am I just doing something wrong?

My graphics card is a HD Radeon 6950 if that matters.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Bear with me.

Due to HDCP, there are HDMI to DVI-D cables/adapters, but no DVI-D to HDMI cables/adapters. You can thank our wonderful copyright protection laws for this.

You will either have to have a video card and monitor with HDMI, or grab a DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

Edited by dpunisher, 23 January 2013 - 12:28 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 asphyxiate9

asphyxiate9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Okay thanks, I ordered a DVI-D to DVI-D cable today and hopefully it will work, I was thinking maybe i had a faulty cable but I guess not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users