Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Hangs During Startup

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sean H.

Sean H.

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

A friend asked me to take a look at her laptop. It's a Toshiba Satellite L775 with Windows 7 Home Premium. The computer starts fine until the green progress bar finishes loading. After that, a cursor appears and can be moved, but nothing else loads. F2 loads BIOS during startup, F12 loads a boot menu, and every other F key (other than F8) loads an OS selection screen. F8 does nothing. I've also tried booting from a restoration disc. The pixelized progress bar loads (slowly, as is usual when booting from a disc) but then the normal boot process continues with the same problem as before. I can't even get into Safe Mode to try and troubleshoot anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

F2 loads BIOS during startup

Is the laptop equipped with certain hardware diagnostics? If yes, this will ignore the hard drive bootup and see if you can come up with results that would point to a bad component.

Tekken

#3 Sean H.

Sean H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

The only diagnostic is a memory diagnostic.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Try the RAM test first to eliminate them from the issue. Check the hard drive brand of the laptop. You may need to remove a couple of screw to locate the HD. A bootable disc is needed to check the health status of laptop's drive. If you have a spare compatible hard drive, you could skip the HD test and check the difference when reinstalling Windows.

Tekken

#5 Sean H.

Sean H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

In regards to the memory test: "The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

Unfortunately, I don't have an extra hard drive here.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

What happened or changes made coming to the issue? This would determine if we can look up a viable solution to check on the problem. When you say pixelize, does it mean not the usual bar color? Did you check the hard drive brand?

Tekken

#7 Sean H.

Sean H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

The owner said they were using a retail version of Rosetta Stone previously and the next time they tried to turn it on, it started doing this. When I say pixelized progress bar, I mean the one that is just black and white and looks like it's part of BIOS, not the actual green status bar for Windows 7. I'll check the hard drive brand when I get home.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

There are standard color for loading bars on OEM brand laptops. Usually blue, white, green. I am not sure if the pixelize is referred directly to just the loading bar. Otherwise if its not the usual loading bar color, it could point to the video chipset itself. Try using an external monitor using the VGA or HDMI connector ports depending on your available monitor. Another straight forward option is to run a startup repair using the disc for the laptop or go to safemode and choose start up repair.

Tekken

#9 noahdfear

noahdfear

New Bremen Bulldog

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

wrong topic ....... sorry

Edited by noahdfear, 27 January 2013 - 12:14 AM.

Dave

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

When I say pixelized progress bar, I mean the one that is just black and white and looks like it's part of BIOS ...

Have a look at this image:

Posted Image
Is this what you are referring to?
  • That's a normal Windows loading progress bar screen that you might see anytime (but perhaps may not see very often).
Edited to add ... to me, it looks remarkably similar to a pedestrian (zebra) crossing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AustrAlien, 27 January 2013 - 03:21 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 Sean H.

Sean H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Yes, that is the progress bar I'm referring to. It shows when trying to boot from disc.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

There are two things I've noticed regarding the situation based on your posts.

In regards to the memory test: "The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

It could either be the preinstalled OEM software for running the diagnostics is corrupt or the drive itself is failing.

Yes, that is the progress bar I'm referring to. It shows when trying to boot from disc.

Usually, a Windows disc would not show a progress bar AFAIK. It's either its not booting from the disc due to BIOS boot priority is not set.

Tekken

#13 Sean H.

Sean H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

I've seen this progress bar many times when booting a PC from a disc, so I'm not worried about that. What I am confused about is why it doesn't continue to boot the bootable image that is on the disc after the progress bar fills to 100%. I'm positive the disc drive is set to boot first and I've even brought up the F-menu to manually choose which device to immediately boot from.

In regards to the hard drive, it is a Toshiba MK5076GSX 500GB SATA drive. I found out tonight that the original hard drive failed and this one was used to replace it (while under warranty).

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

How's the computer running? Do you have other Live discs available to check on the booting issue?

Tekken

#15 Sean H.

Sean H.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I tried booting with an OEM version of Windows 7 but had the same issue. An initial progress bar loads, then the exact same progress bar shows up loading slower (Windows is loading files...). After that, the "Starting Windows" screen shows up with the glowing orbs above it, then nothing. The cursor is in the middle of the screen and can be moved but it's just a black background. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work and the computer has to be manually shut down. I really thought the hard drive might be the issue considering it had to be replaced before, but if the computer is simply booting from a disc, the hard drive shouldn't matter, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users