Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Hates My Face

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm not sure there is a solution here but at least it's a funny story and typing about it helps cool my frustration :)

I got a Google Plus account but I don't do much social stuff online. I see too many really bad consequences of social website use in the business I'm in so I tend to shy away from it.

Google Plus is a little different than the other social networks because I thought that it would help me certify authorship of blogs and articles that I have written. Most of my stuff is scraped mercilessly by others who try to use my content to drive visitors to ads and affiliates that pay them for the traffic.
One of my greatest fears is that Google will accidentally start believing that one of the scrapers is the real author and that I am a scraper.

Enter Google Plus.
Here I can set up tags that link my posts and articles to my Google Plus profile. Then those articles are verified as being written by me. They will even have a little picture of my face next to them in the search results (or at least they do if they think your face is a face).

So being paranoid, I set up a VM with CinnArch and use that for accessing anything to do with my Google accounts for my business. That way none of my personal web use occurs when I am logged into my business account. I use it for Gmail, Google Voice, etc. and keep it on a USB flash key so I can use it on any computer.
Naturally, this is where I setup Google Plus for my business account, Litten Consulting. I've had the company for over twenty years so I'm very careful with how it is publicly viewed.

Now I need a profile picture and this is where the problem occurs. I have tried multiple crisp clear headshots but everyone of them gets a message from Google that says...
"Are you sure people will recognize you in this photo? It doesn't seem to have a face in it."

I let it stay for a few days. The rich snippets tool says everything is okay and verified with my author settings on my articles and even shows my picture but the search engine results do not. Then I try another and it says...
"Are you sure people will recognize you in this photo? It doesn't seem to have a face in it."

and another, and another, and another, and HEY! what the heck's wrong with my face?
So I just picked the one that I like best and left it. It happens to be the one that I expected to be a problem because you can see part of my son's head in it.

Anyway, that's my rant. I feel better now.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I welcome them.

James

EDIT: Well, I guess I played with it too much because now my Google+ page no longer shows up at all in Google searches LOL!

Edited by James Litten, 22 January 2013 - 07:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users