Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant figure out how to burn cd's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, I know, burning cd's is something that a 40 year old male should know how to do but I'm running into issues. Here's my problem. I'm just trying to use Windows Media Player to burn some music that I downloaded from Amazon's MP3 program. I can get them downloaded and onto my computer in the "Music" folder, but can't get them burned over to a cd. I go to "Library", and they are in there, and I move them over to burn them. The computer then lists all the songs out showing "Pending" and it goes through the whole list showing that. But, it's all of the sudden done after about two minutes of supposedly burning 8 songs.
When I go to "Computer" and click on the CD drive, it shows a folder marked "Music". Clicking on that opens another page that shows all the artists I had downloaded, next to another file folder. Clicking on the artist opens yet another file that shows the name of the album. Clicking on that folder opens up the actual song and it shows "MP3 format sound". Clicking on that opens Windows Media Player and the song plays. This only works on the computer. Confused yet?
So now as I stated above, if I drag these same songs from my Music Library over to the right side under CD-R, it shows its burning to disc, but all songs only take a few minutes. When I go to play it in any other CD player, nothing happens. In my car it shows something like "CD Mute", and it seems to be playing but there's no music. For some reason the correct format isn't getting moved from the library onto the CD to play correctly on anything other than the computer. Sorry this is so vague; I hope someone can help!

Thanks
Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

The issues I'm stating above are only with songs I've downloaded from amazon; I've not tried burning just regular songs I've already had in my music library and I've run out of blank CD's to try that so I don't know if those would work either.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

The issue is that you are creating a "data" CD with the MP3 files stored on it rather than a "music" CD which encodes the audio data in a different manner. Some CD players can handle both types, but if you want a CD that will work on (almost) all CD players you will need to create one of the CD-Audio variety.

Take a look at this tutorial, specifically the section about burning an Audio CD.

You can read more about the different kinds of CDs here.

Edited by Andrew, 22 January 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#4 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

So the "data" that is being placed on the disc is maybe just info about the cd itself as in the cover and name of songs, etc? I'll check out the tutorial. Thanks!

#5 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm going to try an old CD-RW that I have; my last one. If it doesn't work, can I use DVD-RW's? I know they are expensive, but I'm wanting to figure this out tonight.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

So the "data" that is being placed on the disc is maybe just info about the cd itself as in the cover and name of songs, etc? I'll check out the tutorial. Thanks!

Well, no. The data CD format stores the MP3 directly on the CD without change. This format is used to store any sort of file, not just audio.

The Audio CD format uses something called pulse-code modulation (similar to how a vinyl record works) which is specifically for audio. In order to burn an MP3 (or any other music file format) to an audio CD, the burning software must first convert the MP3 into the special CD format and then burn the converted data onto the CD.

I'm going to try an old CD-RW that I have; my last one. If it doesn't work, can I use DVD-RW's? I know they are expensive, but I'm wanting to figure this out tonight.

DVDs won't work at all in a CD player, unfortunately.

#7 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Ok, I'll try this last CD. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users