Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aol (america Online)...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:22 AM

Just wondering what the general opinion(s) are about AOL. Personally, I hate them. I've had 2 bad experiences with them. One where they refused to cancel an account that I had for only 2 hours, so I ended up canceling the credit card that they had on file. They kept bililng that card for 6 months, then mailed me a bill for an outrageous amount of money. I called them and they demanded payment from me, even though my account was only active for 2 hours then closed. I ended up threatening them with a lawyer....finally they dropped the "outsanding account balance".

Second time I switched from dial up to AOL broadband, and cancelled that in literally 20 minutes, as even though I was paying time warner cable, AOL still required a credit card in order for me to operate. They swore that they wouldn't double bill me. Even though I canceled the account in 20 minutes, they still managed to double bil me for a full month, then tried to hit me with an "early disconection fee" even though I wasn't under a contract with them....grrrrrrrr :thumbsup:

About a month ago, I worked on someones computer, and they had AOL for dial up. I worked away on their machine, and then plugged in my ethernet cable to their comp and it woulnd't allow me to connect to the internet. After some checking, I noticed that the only way I could connect to the internet with that machine was via AOL, and that AOL had actually LOCKED the ethernet connection! OMG! AOL locked the ethernet connection to the net so that the computer couldn't connect to the internet except with AOL! There was actually a little picture of a lock on the symbol for "local or highspeed connections"!!!! Unbelievable! I uninstalled AOL from their machine completely, and then was able to connect via the ethernet (broadband).

Now, this isnt' a flame against AOL, it's just my humble opinion. Nor am I trying to "up" my posting count, as I figured that the part about the locking of the hispeed access might be a helpful tip for someone! I was wondering what others thought about AOL. I've had more bad experiences with AOL than good ones, not to mention I'm tired of recieving CD's in the mail for free internet from them! On the flipside, AOL has how many MILLIONS of members?!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepydog

sleepydog

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

2 words steve..

rooftop & rifle!!

Big companies tend to try and bully their way about...

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:34 AM

Hate them with a passion! And am always happy to spread the word about :thumbsup: AOLH**L ;)
Posted Image

#4 sleepydog

sleepydog

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hate them with a passion! And am always happy to spread the word about :thumbsup: AOLH**L ;)

what does ** stand for in AOLH**L :flowers:

:trumpet:

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:28 AM

I'm guessin' HELL.
Never did like the results their CD installs yield.
Seen many a computer tangled up in their blues.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

Hated them.....

Had the dial-up AOL for 4 years (parents loved it), and i was sick of not having a "real browser". I wasn't aware of firefox at the time, and i hated using IE, so i was stuck with the actual AOL program to surf the web with...... hated it......

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:40 AM

2 words steve..

rooftop & rifle!!

Big companies tend to try and bully their way about...

I'm with you both!!! I have heard nothing but bad things about AOL, from unfortunate victims- I mean friends :flowers: .

BTWI posted this on my blog a while ago, but since it fits this topic, its worth posting again:

http://www.rafidhasit.com/index2.html: Click on Flash, then click on the blond guy with the blue shirt...I think that says it all :trumpet: .

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:46 AM

AOL agrees to customer reform

AOL, Compuserve Settle Federal Charges of Unfair Practices

Edit: LOL That a great flash rms4evr!

Edited by Scarlett, 29 March 2006 - 11:50 AM.

Posted Image

#9 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:53 AM

AOL agrees to customer reform

AOL, Compuserve Settle Federal Charges of Unfair Practices

Edit: LOL That a great flash rms4evr!

Haha---losers! They deserve to have to pay for that! :thumbsup:

I love that flash...I've even had a "socket timed out" error...and still don't know what it means! :flowers:

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

Dang skippy! In those aricles that were posted....it's what I went through the first time trying to cancel an account! Argured for 20 mins to cancel the account, spent 10 more minutes on hold, argued for another 10 mins then screamed for 5 mins, then finally had account canceled. Grrrr.....stupid AOL! I know that I've recomended against AOL at least 50 times to people who've asked me if they were a good ISP or not.....LOL!! Looks like I got the last laugh!

But seriously.....I live in NY and where's my cut of that 1.25 million?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:13 AM

I vote hate em. This is the only PC in my home that is totally free of all traces of them. It took a while to find everything. Yet I fear a lurker somewhere. AOL is like when you keep your live Christmas tree up too long. You still find a few needles for months and months.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:00 AM

Also, this is fairly interesting. I know this isn't TECHNICALLY aol's fault, but one of their ads seemed to be giving me the middle finger.....

See for yourself:

Posted Image

Now, what exactly is garfield doing with his right paw?

Right back at you AOL !! :thumbsup:

#13 sleepydog

sleepydog

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:56 AM

its his index finger but i do see what it kinda looks like allrite...

Wait!.. do cats have index fingers? :thumbsup:

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:15 AM

Also, this is fairly interesting. I know this isn't TECHNICALLY aol's fault, but one of their ads seemed to be giving me the middle finger.....

See for yourself:

Posted Image

Now, what exactly is garfield doing with his right paw?

Right back at you AOL !! :thumbsup:

LOL!!! More lasagna Jon!
Posted Image

#15 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:25 PM

AOL sucks.

That's my opinion.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users