Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32 will not install update and won't open Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Weary Blue

Weary Blue

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

You guys recently talked me through removing and recovering from a zeroaccess rootkit trojan (for which I am forever grateful!). Things seemed to be going smoothly for the past few months, with the exception of not being able to open Internet Explorer. I use Firefox as my default, only IE for the few programs that automatically open it to update, so I hadn't given it too much thought. When it tries to open, it is just a blank IE browser page.

I wasn't terribly concerned with it, as the possibility exists that I changed a setting somewhere, while going through the lengthy process of cleaning up the trojan mess. I seem to recall that happening but not sure. Tried to keep track of everything, but didn't remember to write every detail. If I did change it purposely, it was in hopes that it would stop windows from automatically directing to IE, when attempting to use a "contact us" link on various webpages. However, I have no idea what program's setting I may have used to do that.

The only other (very minor) off thing, since going through the trojan removal, was that the noise that accompanies incoming facebook IM's sounds static-like. (All other sounds/ music/ videos have been normal).

But now there is a more pressing concern. I am unable to install an important windows update. Security update for Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Vista, and Widows server 2008 x 86 (KB2742597). When I try, I get Error 643 and I cannot click "get help with this error" because the link just auto-opens the blank IE page. I didn't even realize it that it's actually failed to install for several months. So, now I'm pretty concerned about the security of my computer.

I run spybot, malwarebytes, ccleaner, & super anti-spyware on a fairly regular basis and use Microsoft Security Essentials.....it has all come up clean since you guys helped me remove the trojan. The most recent thing I've changed was I uninstalled Java & reinstalled when the patch was released, (but keeping it disabled in Firefox, for now).

Can/should I uninstall and reinstall internet explorer?

Also, just realized I never removed combofix so I came to these forums to read how to do it. It advised to wait to remove until you are sure the computer is running properly, so I figured it was probably time to come back and ask for some advice.

I'm not sure where to begin...and don't want to make anything worse

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Weary Blue

Weary Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Update: I was trying to shut down a program that was unresponsive and was looking for task manager. The closest I found was task scheduler, but when I clicked it I got the error message "The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.SystemToolsDailyTest". I clicked OK and this popped up "The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with.mcupdate"

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/the-task-image-is-corrupt-or-has-been-tampered/b0bcbf62-06a5-44af-8fee-852710141767?tab=AllReplies&page=1

Looks like Vista has corrupt/damaged system files.

I would follow the suggestion made in link above to run the sfc /scannow command.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Louis

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Internet explorer blank page

Reinstall Adobe flash player.Most of Internet explorer issues are due to addons or flash player.

Windows update

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/windows-update-kb-2742597-has-repeatedly-failed-to/936a6420-c6e3-4ee9-a14d-1e1095bf6293

The fix should work for Vista too

#5 kltsin

kltsin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

definetly use the scannow - fix option, it will fix/replace missing or corrupted files.

Now that doesnt mean it will fix all of the system info that make up the registry that may have been fubarred by other issues and virus's. Just the files it uses are okay.

I would also uninstall and reinstall anything you see fit, it may take some time but the more you do the more you know of the state of your system.

#6 Weary Blue

Weary Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I did the command prompt scannow and that went smoothly (I was so relieved and happy!)..it said it corrected the problem.

I uninstalled Adobe Flash player without incident. And then I tried to reinstall it. And tried again. And again. I downloaded their uninstaller after the second time, (I tried to redo the DL and it said I could only run once instance of it at a time). But it does not show up in my uninstall program list, nor does it show up when I check the status of my flash player, through the Adobe site. It can, however, apparently be removed with their uninstaller.

I spent about 2 hours trying to troubleshoot this and finally had to walk away last night.
When I go to download and install it, everything looks normal. But then it just disappears without a trace. I did searches about the problem and discovered I am not the first to have this issue. But I didn't find a resolution. I am just about at my wit's end!

#7 Weary Blue

Weary Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm closing all of the browser windows before installing. The third time I tried disabling virus scan and firewall before downloading. I've shut down and restarted the computer numerous times. Same problem.

#8 Weary Blue

Weary Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Adobe flash is now installed. (yay!)

I manually updated CCleaner, in the process I accidentally installed chrome. Now, if I click search for updates, it doesn't auto-open a blank IE page, but the correct page on Chrome. (The problem is, I have no interest in using Chrome).

Windows security update installation continues to fail. Used microsoft fix-it to check windows update, where it found and repaired some update files. Restarted computer and attempted again. Same available sp1 update shows up....but, again, update fails.

What I am noticing is that the update is for Vista SP1...but I have been running SP2 for many months, if not years. Might this have something to do with the problem?

Edited by Weary Blue, 09 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#9 Weary Blue

Weary Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

What sort of add-ons should I be concerned about. I do use a bunch of them on Firefox.

Internet explorer blank page

Reinstall Adobe flash player.Most of Internet explorer issues are due to addons or flash player.

Windows update

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/windows-update-kb-2742597-has-repeatedly-failed-to/936a6420-c6e3-4ee9-a14d-1e1095bf6293

The fix should work for Vista too

Edited by Weary Blue, 09 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

What security update are you referring too? I never suggested any FIXIT.Did you follow the fix given in the link?

#11 Weary Blue

Weary Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

The security update was Security update for Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Vista, and Widows server 2008 x 86 (KB2742597).

I was doing the steps in order they were posted.

Started with fixing the damaged system files, using scannow.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe Flash.

Because of hitting a snag with that, I ended up having to troubleshoot, reading through forums on microsoft's website and making sure any advice I took was from a reputable source. This took several days and, quite honestly, I forgot there was one more step in the suggestions on here. When Adobe was finally working again, I tried to run the installer again and it failed, so I followed through the links from the error message (starting with "get help with this error" --> "more info"), until I got to the microsoft fix it program, which finds and repairs problems with windows update. It found an issue and said it fixed it.

Last night when I saw your post, I went through the info given, and realized I missed the final step http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_update/windows-update-kb-2742597-has-repeatedly-failed-to/936a6420-c6e3-4ee9-a14d-1e1095bf6293. I followed the instructions and it worked!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!

#12 Weary Blue

Weary Blue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Success!!

You guys are the best!

I went from feeling like this killcomp.gifsmashcomp.gif