Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning the Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ElieY

ElieY

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hello again. A thank you to Bleeping Computer for the guidance of getting my laptop running last month.

I think I did something wrong and messed up my Toshiba Satellite L505 when trying to get rid of the c**p.

The laptop now is running well but I noticed a lot of junk programs that are meaningless to me. My question is how to get rid of them
and not destroy my machine? I saw your list of undesirable start programs and it said if unsure how to remove them, to please ask for assistance.

I "updraded" to Win 7 Professional.

I have a dds.txt file, but can't find how to upload it. The dds.txt file may help. Last time I was using HJT when things turned South.

Thank You,

Elie Yehuda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

This softwares might help.
Download MiniToolBox and select all options.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Download Autoruns
After extracting, double click autoruns and go to File - Save - Filename : Autoruns
Save as type : Text. Copy and Paste the text on your next reply

Tekken

#3 iceman85

iceman85

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

what about simply checking what u got into "msconfig" ? Im still on XP tho so maybe they removed that on 7 or 8.

#4 ElieY

ElieY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

It looks like I can check unneeded programs in autoruns after checking the forum lists for unwanted or unneeded stuff. It is going to be a tedious job.

Thank you for the msconfig suggestion. I'll look into it.

Elie

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

msconfig is a diagnostic utility and should only be used as such. You should follow the suggestion to use Autoruns. Alternatively, you can use a very simple program such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to manage your startup programs and you should manage services from START - RUN - services.msc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users