Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant change dvd region, have 4 changes left

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mariposa!

mariposa!

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

thank you for removing the old post with the mistake.

here is my problem:

i never changed the region, so im not sure why it is set for region 3. im in usa. which is dvd region 1.

i go to the device manager and under properties for the drive, under dvd region i select united states. it asks me if i am sure i waNT TO Change it, i say yes, and it gives me this error:

" unable to update region setting. the drive reports that it requires media of the destination region (region 1) so please insert appropriate media and try again."

i have done that millions of times and get the same error. i have tried it in safe mode, i have tried several different kinds of discs.

i still have 4 changes allowed left. i am an administrator.

heres my computer info

windows vista ultimate service pack 2 64 bit

gateway laptop

Edited by mariposa!, 22 January 2013 - 06:24 PM.

:killcomp:  me before bleeping computer  :smash:  me after bleeping computer :bowdown:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Boot up in safe mode by tapping f8 as you start your PC. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit return. Once loaded, try to change the Drive Region. If it still doesn't work try the procedure but with a different a different Region 1 DVD as Windows can be fussy over what it accepts. If it works, just restart your PC and Windows will boot as normal.

#3 mariposa!

mariposa!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

see above where i stated that i tried it in safe mode and tried several different discs. i still get the same error.

:killcomp:  me before bleeping computer  :smash:  me after bleeping computer :bowdown:

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

sorry about that - I read through you post a little too quickly.

If it won't change after that it sounds like the firmware of the dvd drive is borked and you may want to reflash it - this is generally only supported through the manufacturer gateway - hit up their drivers and see if their is something for the dvd drive specifically - if they don't have anything then you started digging deeper and looking directly to the manufacturer of the drive generally something like TSSTcorp or LiteOn (look in the device manager to find out) and see if they have firmware to flash the drive. If that still doesn't pan out you would replace the drive.

Now having wrote all this you probably just want to play your dvd and might be better off downloading a player such as VLC which ignores region coding.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 22 January 2013 - 09:22 PM.

#5 mariposa!

mariposa!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

i have vlc and cyberlink, but the problem is, the drive doesnt recognize any disc. so it doesnt matter if i have those programs. they cant play anything because the drive isnt reading any disc. basically my cd/dvd/rw drive is useless right now because its set for region 3. why i dont know. this is so frustrating i guess im going to just have to replace the drive because im over it.

it used to work, then my hard drive crashed and i had to replace the hard drive. then i installed windows vista ultimate and the drive hasnt worked since. how it got set to region 3 ill never know.

its not just that i want to watch my dvd, i cant use the cd/dvd/rw drive for anything period.

thanks for your help though

Edited by mariposa!, 22 January 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#6 mariposa!

mariposa!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

flashing the drive sounds like it might be too advanced for me....

#7 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

if you can't read ANYTHING (software or music discs) the drive has gone bad and should be replaced.

#8 mariposa!

mariposa!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

hm, ok thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users