Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Overheat in Standby

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sam-432

Sam-432

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hello. I know this thread is a year out of date but my computer experiences the same problem. I will leave it on and after [x] number of minutes it will go into 'standby', but then the BIOS Overheat alarm will sound repeatedly. To clear the problem I have to shut the computer down.

I have recently installed more memory and an additional fan, thinking that this would solve the problem.
I've also disabled some startup programs and cancel tasks etc, to try and stop it from over-working but this doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Computer never used to be like it until about 3 months ago. It has always done it but it was never a regular/daily occurance.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated to keep my PC cooler, but cost effective!

----------

Spec:

Operating System: Windows 7 x64 SP1
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 1)
RAM: 6GB (2x1GB + 2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory CL6 1.8V
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Processor, 2800mHz, 3 cores/3 logical processors.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hello -
If this is a "Brand Name" computer, you could list the Make and Model of computer then post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy << Follow These Directions

Thank You -
EDITED to repair link -

Edited by noknojon, 22 January 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#3 Sam-432

Sam-432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Hello. It's not a branded computer, it's one I built myself a few years ago. But I am stumped as to why it keeps overheating during idling.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hello -
Can you please complete the remaining requested steps in POST #2 -

Thank You -

#5 Sam-432

Sam-432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Consider it done - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VbxUFIno1WKc0I3ScpqVqsq

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

First Try running a chkdsk
Go - Start > type CMD > Right click on it and type chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Personally, I think you need to run a few tests on your system due to the Uncorrectable Sector Count
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count: 100 (253)

When chkdsk has completed (do NOT interrupt it) and Windows is up and running again, please post the log that will be created by chkdsk.
Directions for finding the report are listed below at the :exclame: Mark -
Next follow the directions for doing a S.M.A.R.T. test in the following post (ignore the directive not to run chkdsk)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic482692.html/page__view__findpost__p__2956118
•Post the GSmartControl report also

Note: Do NOT interrupt chkdsk: Allow it to complete, NO MATTER HOW LONG IT MAY TAKE!
•The progress of chkdsk may appear to stall or it may appear to go backwards: That is not unusual.
•It may take a very long time to complete: Do NOT interrupt it.

:exclame:
To open Event Viewer and view the chkdsk log:
•Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
The Event Viewer window will open.
•In the left pane, click on Application.
•In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
•Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
•Double-click on that entry to view the log.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users