Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't come out of Power saving mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

My grandmother just called me complaining about her computer monitor. She says that after the computer comes out of standby or hibernate, the monitor will not come back on. She has to unplug it from the power strip to get it to turn back on. From the other things she has said about it, it sounds like any time the monitor goes into a power saving mode, it will no longer turn back on again without unplugging it. This has been going on for two or three months.

I checked it out a few weeks ago and everything looked fine. Nothing has been changed with any settings or anything like that. The monitor is an LCD by Westinghouse. I'm not at grandma's house right now so I can't get a model number from it. I believe that it was purchased between 2006-2009. It's been hooked up to the same computer for over a year now and there was never any problem until recently. I believe it uses a DVI connection (could be VGA) and the computer is an HP running Win7.

I'm not sure if the problem is with the monitor or with the computer. I'll try to post back with the model number of the monitor when I get it, but it could be a few days. In the mean time, does anyone have any thoughts on what could be wrong and/or what to check to troubleshoot the problem? I'll try swapping the monitor for a known working one, but it will be a few days before I can get over there. Grandma's ready and anxious to buy a new monitor because of this issue, but if the problem is with the computer, she's going to be wasting her money.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

An update... So Grandma ended up buying a new monitor a few minutes after I started this thread. She saved the "problem" monitor for me, I just need to go pick it up. I'd still like to figure out what's wrong with it because I want to use it with the new computer I plan on getting.

The monitor is a Westinghouse L2046NV from 2007, connected to the computer via VGA. The monitor works fine, except that that it won't come out of the power saving/standby/sleep mode anymore. Pushing the on/off button has no effect. To get it to turn back on, we have to unplug the power cord and then plug it back in.

Any thoughts on this problem? For all I know it may work fine when I get it hooked up to my computer, but that might be a while from now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users