Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Fan Going Crazy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 caned_monkey

caned_monkey

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hello,

I recently added two new 1TB hard drives to my Dell Dimension E520 (XP-SP3) PC and upped the RAM from 1GB to 2GB.

Now, whenever the PC starts working on anything like streaming video, downloading big files, virus scans, opening big spreadsheets etc the fan on the power supply goes into overdrive. I'm assuming its the power supply because it sounds too large to be the cpu fan. It makes a hell of a noise, it doesn't sound faulty noisy but just like it's working at full power. It makes using the PC annoying.

Is this something I have to live with because this PC is not really built for such large hard drives or can I upgrade to something better and quieter?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

There is a good chance it's not your power supply fan but your rear exhaust fan(assuming you have one). What type of computer is this?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 caned_monkey

caned_monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I've never heard of an exhaust fan on a PC before, what is that?

I have a Dell Dimension E520, the spec is here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dime520/en/SM_EN/specs.htm

What more do you need to know?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

What more do you need to know?

Well, what fan is it? Pop the side of the case off and have a look/listen instead of having us blindly try to play "Guess the FAN!". Normally "Guess the FAN!" is fun, but not over the internet.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 caned_monkey

caned_monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Somebody needs to get out a little

#6 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Dimension E520 Processor Fan

It looks like the CPU fan is larger than the power supply fan and is also used as the front intake fan. It is probably the one that is making the noise. Clean the vents first, then make sure the heat sink is fully seated on the CPU and reapply the thermal paste.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users