Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no network access, Network Initialization Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BritSmith

BritSmith

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hi,

Today I cannot connect to the internet or see anything else on my home network on my Win7 pc. We also have a WinXP laptop on which I am sending this that is connecting ok. I discovered a thread on here that included running the Farbar service scanner, when I have done and it says afd service is not running. I found the afd.sys file in windows/system32/drivers and see that it is a new file, attributed to AVG antivirus. I googled some more on AVG changing files and decided to reinstall Avast which I have done, but no help with network access.

I am getting a very faint error message box notification that seems to come from my logitech video camera, it says "Network Initialization Error" but it's so faint and transparent you can hardly see it. I did do a snip on the page which is saved as a .jpg but I can't attach it.

I also run a virtual XP OS on this windows 7 machine. I had to reload XP in the last few days as I had a weird situation where the desktop icons & start all disappeared but running malwarebytes & avg scans & other processes did not identify what was causing it. So, having spent the last 3 days trying to clean up the machine to no avail, I deleted XP mode files and recreated it then loaded up the software I run under it. The only change was I decided to uninstall Outlook 2002 from Win7 and set it up in XP Mode. Last night everything worked fine. Malware & virus scans in Win7 today have not brought up any virus issues today.

i have 2 wireless adapters, a slow Rosewill adapter on board and a usb plugin Netgear adapter. Both can see the named network but nothing else the other side of the router, internet or other machine & printer.

Please help, many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BritSmith

BritSmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

p.s. I have run the Mini Tool Box process and included all devices, it's really long so I did not include it above.

Should I post one with only the devices showing problems??

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:24 AM

You can post the log results using the
[spoiler][/spoiler]
tags. place one at the beginning of the log and one at the end.. THANK YOU :thumbup2: for asking, i just had that thread updated to list everything and i forgot how long some logs can be.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 BritSmith

BritSmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for replying Sneakycyber

I should note that I also cannot connect to my phone's wireless hotspot with the pc. While trying to sort the XP Mode problems I have run many investigative processes as I didn't know if the problem was within the XP installation or in the Win7 virtual pc files including combofix which I then later read should not be done by the uninitiated so I apologise for that. I did find in XP Mode that all the .exe associations and exefile registry keys were missing but never found what the heck had caused it. I am just hoping I do not have anything nasty going on in Win7.

Many thanks,

Lynda Metcalfe,
Blacksmith

Here is the MiniToolBox results log:

Spoiler

#5 BritSmith

BritSmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Update:
After running various diagnostics and comparing my problem with similar issues elsewhere and replacing afd.sys plus registry keys for services that were not running like BITs I still could not get anything back working. SuperAntiSpyware found a trojan in an archived program .exe from my secondary hard drive but I have never opened that program on this pc so am not sure if that was really it.

I did an 'upgrade' repair install from my windows 7 install disc. Still things were not working right, USB ports were not recognizing drives, I was getting a BSOD when I attached my phone, my mp3 player would not dock and I had to try several times to get o/s updates to work. Finally I got the USB port to recognize my back up drive so I backed everything up and did a clean install. So, am now reinstalling progs and drivers and everything seems to be ok.

I wish I had had a positive i.d. on a trojan or rootkit or something but whatever it was was sneaky and I wish I had just re-formatted a week ago.

Lynda

Edited by BritSmith, 28 January 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the update. :thumbup2: A wipe and reinstall usually fixes most problems, the draw back as you mentioned is not knowing what happened. Do you have your combo fix log by any chance?

Edit: Pondering your prior response and the symptoms it appears your registry was missing some entries. It may have been corrupted by an infection or modified by an infection and removed by a cleaner. :mellow:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 31 January 2013 - 09:09 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users