Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Configurations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Econil

Econil

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Cannot boot into Windows XP with my new hard drive, which has Windows XP already installed. The screen shows System Configuration. Under this is the information that Primary Master Disk: LBA, UDMA 33,_.
I would appreciate your kind help and advice if the hard drive needs to be changed, please.
Thank you for your most kind help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

What type of computer is this? Are you booting off the hard drive in the BIOS? Did the hard drive come with the computer, or is it off another computer that had Windows XP installed?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 Econil

Econil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

The PC was made some time ago at home. I set the BIOS to default so the HDD is the first booting option. The drive was in use on another PC prior to my current attempt. Yes, it does have Windows XP installed on it. At the start up screen the display shows that the drive is being detected and the CD-ROM is found. At the System Configuration screen display the Primary drive is shown.
Is this the information required to help using the drive, please?
Thanks again for taking up my request for advice.
Kind regards

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

You moved an old hard drive with the original OS on it to another system? It might very well not boot due to hardware compatability problems with the installed OS/drivers on the hard drive and the new board. Unless your new hardware is a fairly close match to the machine the hard drive came out of, you will likely have a problem.

Here is one way to prep a hard drive for use in another system. Not always 100% successful, but better than nothing. Wouldn't hurt to wait around for some more input on this. SYSPREP

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Econil

Econil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes, thank you very much for this kind help. I'll wait for additional helpful instructions.
Thanks again and kind regards

#6 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

The PC was made some time ago at home. I set the BIOS to default so the HDD is the first booting option. The drive was in use on another PC prior to my current attempt. Yes, it does have Windows XP installed on it. At the start up screen the display shows that the drive is being detected and the CD-ROM is found. At the System Configuration screen display the Primary drive is shown.
Is this the information required to help using the drive, please?
Thanks again for taking up my request for advice.
Kind regards

Unfortunately it sounds like you're going to need to re-install the Operating System. Like the previous poster said, your going to run into compatibility issues unless the systems were pretty much identical. Not a huge deal, just follow these steps and you should be on your way. Feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users